Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: A question for you

I have just inherited several embroidered tractors (and have a little great-grandson who loves tractors), and need advice. These are done on muslin and have the cut-away stabilizer still there. They are 9"x9" squares. I've never dealt with cut-away before, and wonder if I should leave it there for strength, or remove it before sewing the sashing on?

Thanks, All -
    Bobbie

either way, what you leave will show through so I'd try to be consistant, and make smooth cuts around it

I carefully trim around mine. I will stress be careful you don't cut into the fabric!!!

Blog Entries
    I would remove atleast the excess around the edges. Cut within 1/8" so that it doesn't show through, or buckle/fold when it has been laundered a few times. The rest should be ok, as it is stitched down.

What a cute idea for a quilt. I think it would depend on how you're going to quilt the blocks. If you're going to quilt right up to the embroidery I think I would remove the stabilizer. But if you're going to stitch in the ditch around the outside of the blocks, I might think about leaving it in there to keep the muslin looking "crisper". And there are different weights of stabilizer so I'd think about how heavy and stiff it feels too. Can't wait to see the finished quilt.

Blog Entries
    I would just try and trim them to make them uniform. Get too close and you risk cutting the design :shock: Can't wait to see how the quilt comes out :mrgreen:

I trimmed the ones I did. But there is NO quilt police.. doesn't really matter either way!

Thank you all - the general consensus seems to be to trim it, so that's what I'll do. I've only used tear-away stabilizers in the past. I'm looking forward to seeing it, too! :-)

Bobbie

Looking forward to the pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    I carefully trim around mine. I will stress be careful you don't cut into the fabric!!!
    I agree.