Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you were me, What would you do? Machine question >

If you were me, What would you do? Machine question

If you were me, What would you do? Machine question

Old 06-24-2010, 04:16 AM

Ok, I have the latest Janome 1600 P QC. I want the new Horizon. But I also want an embroidery machine. this is something I plan on in the next 2 to 3 months so I can get the most out of trading before my year is up, but I need to save a little more moola.

here's my pickle:

Option 1: Trade in my 1600 (i absolutely LOVE my 1600) for the horizon. And have only one super duper machine. And possibly have to wait to pay off the horizon completely. Leaving me with my regular 5 inch throat machine that is NOT heavy duty.

Option 2: Keep the 1600 and spend around 1000 on an embroidery machine (that may or may not sew also) and get one of those Giga Magna hoop-thingy-ma-bobbers. and have the 1600 AND an embroidery machine. I've had a Singer Futura emb. machine before years ago but had to sell it to help pay bills.

Hmmmm. I just cant decide. Any and all thoughts are VERY welcome and needed.

I like to sew quilts and bags. Not much of anything else if that helps. I also am in the process of building a table top quilting frame for my machine, if it ever stops raining and I can go outside to use the saw.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:41 AM

K: How much actual embroidery do you really do? If you mostly quilt and make bags, wouldn't the "fancy" stitches on an upgraded sewing maching be sufficient? I ask this because my Viking has tons of those fancy stitches and I haven't figured them out yet. It should make labels if I learn. Personally, and this is just my humble opinion, I'd like to trade up to a machine with a bigger throat and learn to use the optional stitches. I'm like you-I just make quilts and bags so wouldn't really use an embroidery machine.

Good luck in your decision; let us know what you decide.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:26 AM

You do have a pickle! I'm in the exact same situation. My first thought was how much longer to you have to trade in your 1600? I have 9 mos. My consideration is, how much embroidery am I going to do in the very recent future or is this just something I want to do? Which one can I utilize the most of at this time and give me the most down the line? I have my answer, did these questions help you out? :-D

Good Luck!! :thumbup:
Old 06-24-2010, 05:37 AM

If you really think you would use an embroidery machine check with you machine dealer for a trade in they might have for sale or look at the stand alone ones offered at Walmart etc. The software for those machines can run into big bucks. Another option might be to pay your local machine dealer to sew out any design you might want on their equipment. You might even have a friend who already has an embroidery machine with the designs or motif you want. I recently paid my local Bernina dealer to resize a design I needed so that it would fit my home embroidery machine. They have all of the computer equipment to do such a chore. The $25 I paid her for her time was a whole lot less than purchasing a newer more complicated machine to do just one project.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:46 AM

I would not trade in the machine you have now. I only have one machine and if it goes down or needs to go into the shop, I'm left with nothing. :( The 1600 is a good machine to take to classes or retreats too since it isn't as heavy as some of them can be.

What is it you like about the new Horizon? Are the features you like going to be worth trading in your old machine for? Several of my friends have bought the new Horizon and the one feature I like is the really large throat area (great for us machine quilters). I love the feature, just not enough to pay the exorbent price they are asking for it.

And like the others, I think it depends on how often you would use the embroidery machine as to whether it would be worth getting or not.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:04 AM

HmmMm. I am happy with my 9 inch throat. Embroidery would be nice. I want to quilt my layers by embroidery machine. You all have me thinking now.

Maybe I could get a 6600. It has all those fancy stitches like the horizon. And I am happy with my 1600. 6600 n 6500 have alphabets,right? Do they stitch the fancy stitches well?

How about a 3rd option: keep 1600. Get a 6500 or 6600 as cheap as possible now. And maybe a 300 or 350E later. And by later, I mean when I convince hubby how much I NEED one! Lol.

I have looked at the yahoo group for 6600/6500. but I would like to hear from my fellow quilters here.

Now we have 3 options. Hmmm. I think I need a little more input. Thanks so much!
Old 06-24-2010, 09:00 AM

Since you love your 1600, I think you should do nothing until you know what you want. I buy good machines and never trade them in when I upgrade ... they are worth much more to me than they are to the dealer. Except for my Singer treadle, all the machines get used, some more than others, of course.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

With a separate embroidery machine you can multi-task. If you have only one machine, you cannot sew while embroidering. My vote is to wait and get a separate embroidery machine.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

Never heard of an embroidery machine that cannot be used for regular sewing. I am not sure how involved the setup/takedown of the embroidery frame thingies is - but sew, it should.

Sorry can't help you on the decision. It's a fun but difficult one. (I just got a new Babylock)

What is your actual budget?
Old 06-24-2010, 12:49 PM

Here's what I think. Cant a 9500 (0r 10000) be used for both embroidery and stitching? You could find a good used 9500 (10000) and just keep your 1600.