Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Questions about garcie and janome >
  • Questions about garcie and janome

• Questions about garcie and janome

Old 08-28-2013, 03:39 PM

Red face Questions about garcie and janome

Good people...I have a question. I am away from home. Today I saw an add in a quilt store for a janome 1600 series and a gracie frame. I really did not pay attention to it. My DH told me in the truck...you should buy it. Duh,now he tells me. The store is closed. Will not see the flyer until am tomorrow. I know that I should ask how old it is. What the janome 1600 letter is after the number. Does it have a stitch regulator. They are asking 850. What else do I need to know. Is this a good price? Should I consider it? I know some of you know everything about this...so please help!! Thanks in advance...oh...also...how is this frame? Worth it or not? Carol...aka reba'squilts.
    Old 08-28-2013, 03:54 PM
    Power Poster

It seems people either hate or like the Janome on the frame. I would really research it and read everything you can find. I have the Janome 6500 and use it extensively now for nearly 10 yrs and like it a lot. I believe the Janome 1600p is supposed to be the straight stich version.

Maybe look at the Gracie frame but with a different machine?

http://www.amazon.com/1600P-DBX-High...owViewpoints=1

Also these set up are wonderful but you are so limited to the throat opening. Maybe you can even find used short arm quilting machine on a frame.

Hopefully some people that have owned or own this set up will respond.
    Old 08-28-2013, 04:42 PM

Unhappy

Limited throat space. I bought a used Janome 1600P and grace frame and have quilted several quilts but the top thread keeps breaking...have had it serviced, changed needles, thread, stitch regulator. Got exhausted and disappointed.
    Old 08-28-2013, 06:13 PM
    Power Poster

A frame setup is a relatively big purchase. You should really do more research before buying. I have heard of breaking thread issues with the Janome 1600 on a frame (the 1600 refers to the number of stitches per minute the machine can make) and other problems with it. It is really just a fast straight-stitch domestic sewing machine that was not really designed for use on a frame. Plus the throat space is very limited. I also do not think the Gracie frame is the strongest one on the market.

Maybe for $850 you would be happy just being able to quilt by moving the machine instead of the quilt. However, most quilters who start out with a short-arm machine setup like this find it so limiting they soon want to upgrade.
    Old 08-29-2013, 03:41 AM

about 5 years ago i bought the 1600p and gracie frame and stitch regulator for 3500. and yes that is a good deal
    and i havent had any trouble with mine knock on wood ( i am hitting my head now lol) is there any way
    you can run the machine before you buy it. it sews beautifully. also make sure the frame is not bowed or wrap take a
    level with you.
    Old 08-29-2013, 05:07 AM
    Power Poster

BTW, I think the stitch regulator is an add on, not part of the machine. I would see if I could try it out first. I'm also in the southern thumb!
    Old 08-29-2013, 09:04 AM

Thank you all for your input. I decided not to go and look at the machine. I think I would prefer a machine with a bigger harp. I was glad to have opinions from others! Paper Princess..I am in St Clair...where are you? Thanks again...perhaps will find a tin lizzie or something!!! Don't I wish!!!! Carol aka Reba'squilts
    Old 08-30-2013, 05:50 AM
    Power Poster

I think you made a good decision. Maybe start saving up. 18 inches and up is nice and 22 in. and up even better.

Originally Posted by Reba'squilts
    Thank you all for your input. I decided not to go and look at the machine. I think I would prefer a machine with a bigger harp. I was glad to have opinions from others! Paper Princess..I am in St Clair...where are you? Thanks again...perhaps will find a tin lizzie or something!!! Don't I wish!!!! Carol aka Reba'squilts