Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions about rag applique technique >

Questions about rag applique technique

Questions about rag applique technique

Old 02-09-2017, 03:29 AM

Default Questions about rag applique technique

I am making a baby quilt & want to try the rag applique technique on it.
  1. Do you use fusible web on the back side to stick the applique piece down? If so, will the fusible at the edge keep the edge from fraying when washed or should I set the fusible in a bit so it's not right on the edge of the back side?
  2. How far in from the edge do I start my stitching?
  3. Do you snip the edge after the piece is sewn down so it will fray more when washed (sort of like a rag quilt)?
Is rag applique o.k. for a baby quilt?

Any other info about this technique would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a pic of the quilt I am going to make:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrfX...em-subs_digest
Old 02-09-2017, 03:21 PM

Over 100 people have read my thread but didn't have any replies. Does anyone have any answers for me? I've gone ahead & started stitching around my little flowers. I just put a small piece of Heat & Bond (Lite) in the center of each pedal just to hold it down while I'm sewing around it. Not sure how this is going to turn out but so far it looks pretty. I will make a sample block & wash the block to see what the "fray" looks like when washed. That will determine whether or not I wash the quilt when I finish or give it to the mommy without washing it. I couldn't find much on the web about rag applique.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:55 PM

osewme,
Sorry no one has been able to help you. Having not made such a quilt, I was looking forward to learning from others. But what you are doing sounds to me like it will work. Not all fabric fray well, and I don't think you mentioned what your appliqués were made of. If they're of either flannel or homespun, fraying should be great the way you propose. When I make a standard rag quilt, I use 1/2" seams and then cut the fabric almost to the seam. Gives a nice fray when washed.
If I were you, I'd wash the quilt before giving it to the mom, regardless of what appliqué technique you use. (Gets rid of any oils, dirt, germs, etc., before baby uses it.)
Old 02-09-2017, 04:14 PM

Thanks for the reply, Sushi. I am making the quilt from 100% cotton fabric so not sure how much fraying they will do but so far I like the look of what I am doing. I should have made a sample block & washed it first before I even started but needed all the time I can get as the baby shower is in 2 weeks. I generally do wash my quilts before I give them away as I like the "crinkle" look of a quilt & also want to rid them of the oils, dirt, etc. Not sure why I even considered NOT washing it before giving it....had a "duh" moment I guess. Anyway, I will post a pic when this is completed. I try to learn something new with each quilt I make & this is for sure something new to me.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:18 PM

When you get it sewn together if you clip along edges it will fray more...
Old 02-09-2017, 04:18 PM

I think the amount of raveling would depend on the angle the fabric was cut. If you are using circles and the fabric is cut on the bias it may not ravel as much as those on the straight of grain. I have never made an applique rag quilt but it sounds challenging and I would love to see a picture of the finished item. When I do make a rag quilt I clip the fabric and then I wash & dry it at least 3 times to get it nice & fluffy.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:22 PM

Thanks crqltr & Losie for your info. Because the pedals are small I might not be able to clip them too much as I sewed pretty close to the edge (but I will try). Time will tell on this quilt.