Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions for Handi Quilter Fusion Owners >

Questions for Handi Quilter Fusion Owners

Questions for Handi Quilter Fusion Owners

Old 11-18-2014, 08:47 PM

I don't own a HQ, but work at a shop that sells them, and I get to use them when I want. And I get to go to the homes and help set them up. I have to say that HandiQuilter is an awesome company! They take great care of their dealers and customers. There are some great new upgrades to the HandiQuilters that just came out on November 1. We're a Bernina dealer, too, but will continue selling the HQ's over the new Bernina longarms. They are a solid machine! The ProStitcher is a little combersome. I told them I wish they could make it wireless.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:10 AM

Thank you for sharing that Annette! I think my biggest concern with HQ machines are heavy workload and maintenance. I quilt a lot - and even though I don't quilt hundreds of a quilts a year like some long armers, the quilts I do work on are usually pretty intense quilting. I do want to add more to my schedule over the next year and I would like to know if HQ's hold up to that over the long term. I know you can do fantastic work on them as some of my most admired quilters use them.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:25 AM

I suggest that you contact Charisma here on the board about her Innova. She does beautiful work on it and it seems to be a workhorse, IMHO.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:13 AM

Some of the name quilters use HQ's. Kimmy Brunner, Sue Patton, Harriott Carpanelli (here on the board). I have a Queen Quilter (made by Tin Lizzie). I'm looking to upgrade too, as I've outgrown my machine. I've also liked the HQ machines & they just came out with the Infinity, which has a 26" throat. Kimmy Brunner bought hers in Houston & I think Harriott is getting one also & has her Fusion up for sale. Contact her through a PM here on the board. Bet she can answer all your questions.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:50 AM

As to the Innova, and yes I have one now too, there's little upkeep except oiling the bobbin area after every change. Most repairs (if not electrical) can be done by you with the help of Michael on the phone guiding you. He's 24/7/365. I have APQS right here in town and I still went with the Innova. I've had a few issues, mostly operator error and Michael has walked me thru the fix...........even when its the same error. I now write down the steps to fix it when I goof up so I don't have to bother him again. He's always pleasant and doesn't make you feel like a fool. I've had my machine for 2 years now and though I don't quilt a lot on it, I never seem to have a problem with it, the tension, etc. He even walked me thru on the bobbin winder that came with it so I get a good fill on the bobbin every time.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:00 AM

Have you talked to your local HQ Dealer and asked them for references from some of their customers? I think that in addition to going there and test driving the heck out of one - be sure you try all of the things you might be doing (panto, free hand, ruler work, etc) I might ask them if they could put you in touch or give your email address to some of their customers. I think that might give you that last little touchy feely that you are looking for to make your decision.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:55 AM

The only bad thing about HQ is they do not do trade ups.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:02 AM

Thank you all for the responses, they have truly aided me in making a decision.

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
Have you talked to your local HQ Dealer and asked them for references from some of their customers? I think that in addition to going there and test driving the heck out of one - be sure you try all of the things you might be doing (panto, free hand, ruler work, etc) I might ask them if they could put you in touch or give your email address to some of their customers. I think that might give you that last little touchy feely that you are looking for to make your decision.
Most places do not share this kind of information as it would be a breech of their customer's privacy - however, that is why I have come to places like this forum for your valued opinions! Thank you!

Originally Posted by bikerbarb View Post
The only bad thing about HQ is they do not do trade ups.
Thank you that is good to know. I CAN trade in my machine head only to APQS - but for 1/5th of what the whole set up would be worth to sell outright. Very very good to know.