Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
questions and more questions >

questions and more questions

questions and more questions

Old 06-22-2010, 04:32 AM

please explain the different tools to be used for quilting,

do I ask you for patterns of your quilts?

Is this all sewn by machine and not hand sewn?

where do hoops come into this or are they out dated?

and as for the sewing, do I need special machines< like the "new toy" I seen on this forum?
Old 06-22-2010, 04:40 AM

Of course, you may ask for patterns. Some can be shared and for others you will be directed to a seller to purchase the pattern.

Different quilters use different techniques. Some do everything by hand, some do everything on the machine and some combine the techniques.

I only use hoops when I hand quilt, which isn't too often. I think some use hoops as they machine quilt, but I don't know about that.j

I piece and quilt on my "home" sewing machine. Mine is a Janome DC 2010 which is a nice machine, but not a fancy (or expensive) machine. I have been machine quilting for about a year and a half and love it. I do use quilters gloves and purchased a walking foot which helps feed the quilt through the machine (because of the thickness) and I also have a darning foot for free motion quilting. I took a lesson from a local quilter on using your sewing machine for quilting and got some great information from here and learned a lot. Then it was just practice time.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:47 AM

Mary, You use what you like to use. It is okay to ask others what patterns they use and what methods. Hoops seem to be a personal preference, some use them, others don/t. I think yoiu just try and see what wroks for you. As for the new toy you mentioned. Not everyone has the newest and best machine. I sew on a 20 year old sewing machine. Some seem to really like the old Featherweights to quilt on, they talk about the perfect stitch, etc. Guess I need to haul out mine that I've hafd since the 50's( before they were the "thing" to have and see if it really does sew better.LOL My suggestion for you, ask questions if you have some, use what you can afford. I do think that a lot of the new rulers that are used for cutting are very nice, but I only have a couple , and I just bought them. And I never have used a rotery cutter, wish I could get the hang of it! And I won"T ever be able to afford those cutting machines and long arm quiters . Carol
Old 06-22-2010, 04:54 AM

Thank you,Thank you ladies for the feed back! I was wondering if I had to spend money to even to begin!

So I will use what I have, and will check out some quilters here in the area and see if I can get some info. Also thanks about patterns, I don't have any and didn't want to offend to ask for them.

Yes I knoew there is no stupid question, this is new to me so I am going to take this slowly.
Again thanks! Mary Grether
Old 06-22-2010, 04:58 AM

Mary,

Go to www.quilterscache.com
They have TONS of free quilt block patterns. You just printout the directions and go. My first quilt was a sampler of easy 12 inch blocks that were all different. I just picked out what I liked and got going with scraps of fabric that I already had. It was a great experience and I still love going to quilterscache to find block patterns. I think I'm addicted!!!
Old 06-22-2010, 05:00 AM

thanks! I am wanting to be addicted to quilting too. Loosk so fun and easy!
Old 06-22-2010, 05:03 AM

Mary, I started quilting back in the 70's and did not use rotary cutters, mats, rullers, etc until about 7-8 yrs ago. I firmly believe there are no "stupid" questions. I thought I knew alot about quilting but have learned in the year and a half I have been on here that you are never too old to learn. These folks have taught me alot. I still prefer to design as I go but use alot of quilt patterns too. I mainly look at other quilts/pictures and figure out the general idea from there for my quilts. Even the simplest of patterns turns out beautiful.....and I have seen very few quilts that I thought weren't pretty. Good luck and welcome aboard gal!!!

Sandy/Gramqlts
Arkansas
Old 06-22-2010, 05:04 AM

Hi Mary, Welcome! Again, use what feels right for you. When I began hand quilting I tried a hoop, hated it, tried my lap (free), and loved it. I did purchase a quilt frame so that my daughter could help and love it too. As far as machines go, use what you have. I began sewing clothing years ago and still use that machine. I did buy a walking foot and darning foot for machine quilting, but that was it. Be careful, quilt making is addictive!!!
Old 06-22-2010, 05:07 AM

About as bad as crocheting! and other stuff I am involved in.

a walking foot, and darning foot?

this is different for me so I od want to get "addicted"!
Old 06-22-2010, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by marygrether
please explain the different tools to be used for quilting,

Rotary Cutter-to cut the fabric
Rulers- All different sizes and shapes
cutting mat- use to protect the surface of whatever you are cutting the fabric on . Also helps your blades of the rotary cutter.

do I ask you for patterns of your quilts?

Some patterns can be given out free, some are under copyright so you have to buy them.

Is this all sewn by machine and not hand sewn?

Some sew by hand, some by machine, some are machine pieced and hand quilted, some are totally by hand , some are hand pieced and machine quilted

where do hoops come into this or are they out dated?

Hoops are used for the quilting part, either by hand or machine.

and as for the sewing, do I need special machines< like the "new toy" I seen on this forum?

I use a regular Bother CS6000i for both piecing and quilting.
The most important thing is have fun
:thumbup: