Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Questions on quilting a t-shirt quilt???

Blog Entries

Questions on quilting a t-shirt quilt???

I am making this t-shirt quilt for my DIL from her high school t-shirts. The measurements are 72 X 86 without borders. The first question is...should I put on a small border or just stop here??? I also have another question...what color of thread do you think I should use to quilt it? I am just going to scribble (meander) to quilt it but not sure what color I should use??? Any ideas would be appreciated!!
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image 

Blog Entries
    does it fit a bed as is? or is it fine this size? that should decide you on borders. and beige or gray thread would be good to use to quilt it with. but white would work all right too. did you fuse any interfacing behind the t-shirt fabrics? they look good. If no interfacing, you could use fusible batting or spray baste it. that would hold them in place while you do the quilting.

Nice quilt. Love the sashing.

a medium gray thread would pretty much blend in & not detract from the quilt anywhere. as for borders- if you need to enlarge it to fit the bed- then add borders- if it hangs the way you want it to don't bother- it will be ok either way
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

That is a very attractive quilt - T-shirt quilts sometimes look kinda muddled, but yours is nice and crisp looking!

I agree with the others about borders and thread colors. With so much white on the top use a backing fabric on which you can use the same color bobbin thread as your top thread: even thought the thickness of the top will bury your quilting threads more than on a regular quilt, you still want to minimize pop-ups.

Alison

I agree with the gray thread but I might add a border.

I love your quilt!!

Dina

I have quilted several t-shirt quilts for customers and they all have a border around them. Not a wide one, but a border. It just makes it look finished. I would probably also use a med. gray or light gray thread and I like t-shirt quilts just quilted with a simple meander. Your quilt looks very nice. I'm sure your daughter will enjoy it.

I love T-Shirt quilts! I agree with the border and the gray thread.... It will finish great!

If this is to be loved and used I would add a border - I like the darker grey idea. The current sashings look white from here and the handling it will get while being folded and lugged around could cause problems with white. LOVE the quilt.
    So many quilts, so little time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast