Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions on Thread >

Questions on Thread

Questions on Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 03:43 PM

Thanks to all of you!!! Now I'm on to superiorthreads.com :-)
Old 02-23-2013, 08:34 PM

I have used coats and clarks, gutterman, mettler,connecting threads, madeira,and have never had any breakage. I am inclined to believe it is also the needle
Old 02-24-2013, 03:28 AM

I like using Robison Anton 40wt cotton for piecing most of the time. I have tan, white, and grey for colors. It is strong and I have never had any problems using it in my high speed industrial machine.

Remember that needle size, making sure needle is in correct and tightly, burrs, and tension issues, and proper threading, are also some things that contribute to thread breakage.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:35 AM

I use both cotton and Glide, and others in my longarm and my cotton has never broken. just thought I'd share my experience. There are 2 other LA'ers in the area that also use Signature cotton almost exclusively with no problems. I like Glide because it isn't as linty as cotton, but I use each about 50/50 of the time. Depends in customer request and what the quilt says it wants.

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
i should have added---silk thread although wonderful thread- is quite expensive & i would never (waste it) on constructing a tote bag- those of us who tend to use alot of silk threads generally use them for applique- and sometimes for very special quilting.
often when making and quilting quilts we use 40-60 wt thread- long arm machine(ers) tend to use aurafil & polyester threads- the machines go very fast & cotton thread breaks easily- but cotton works well often when quilting with a domestic machine.
i piece with cotton most of the time - poly for totes/purses/ table toppers, runners/ items that will be used, abused & laundered often- applique with silk and quilt with polyester or aurafil...but that is just the (general) way i do things- i may do things differently from one project to another- i've used lots of (specialty threads) metalics, invisibles, rayons, what ever suits my project.