Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quiet Book Questions- Can you give me advice? >

Quiet Book Questions- Can you give me advice?

Quiet Book Questions- Can you give me advice?

Old 07-25-2016, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
I agree with the cloth book panel idea. There are adorable "beginner" book panels as well as the more advanced.
Ditto.
As the baby gets a little older, "board" books were in my daughter's crib by the time she was 11 months old. My mother made her a "quiet" book like you are describing for her second birthday. She used stuff that resembled colored heavy interfacing, which wore out before the book had gone through two toddlers.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:16 AM

When I've made blocks for this, I use all cotton and machine satin stitch around the edges. You might also want to use wonder under (is that still the name?) to "glue" the pieces down, then satin stitch. I'm thinking the bonding agent would add stability.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:23 PM

I made fabric books for Head Start because they could be washed and used for years. Vogue had a pattern which I believe was called Amy's Book and pops up every now and then on EBay.
Attached Thumbnails book.jpg  
Old 07-26-2016, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by applique View Post
I made fabric books for Head Start because they could be washed and used for years. Vogue had a pattern which I believe was called Amy's Book and pops up every now and then on EBay.
I too made these (35 years ago - lol) and the Pattern is actually called "It's a Zoo". Made them with quilting fabric and fusible web with all sorts of ribbons and stuff. They were a lot of work but came out adorable when I was done.

Here is a link to one that is on Ebay -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vogue-1959-S...-/322184514818

You may want to search ebay - there may be others available for less $$

Last edited by eparys; 07-26-2016 at 02:52 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-26-2016, 04:54 AM

I made an interactive quiet book for my first grandbaby using heavyweight interfacing. Did a double page on a long rectangular piece then sewed 2 of them back to back, then folded. Turned out so cute and will last forever.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:27 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions. I hadn't seen my question appear in the daily digest so I thought perhaps it was dropped as being in the wrong place. I'm glad I looked a little further to find your replies. I like all of them. I did see flash cards, on Pinterest maybe, made from that heavy peltex stuff that had fabric letters and numbers on them stitched with zig-zag and button holes stitch. I think I might make a few of those and then perhaps make pages with fabric scraps for colors. Probably a good way to use some scraps up. Maybe add some lift up pieces for "I spy" like the advent calendars. I'm getting more motivate. Thank you all. Will post some photos as I progress. A little at a time and a page will be completed!