Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt "duvet cover" >

quilt "duvet cover"

quilt "duvet cover"

Old 08-24-2010, 08:42 AM

Hi All
I'm new to the forum. I hope I'm posting this in the corect area. If not please forgive me .
I Love reading about your ideas and looking at your quilts. My mom is a quilter so I talk to her a lot about it all. I'm a newbee, I can sew, but am looking to get into quilting for some R&R. ( hubby says I have ants in my pants so can't sit still.)
So here's a question for you.Can you make a duvet cover with a pieced quilt top so that it can be taken off to wash? Would that look stupid? If I can, do I need to use a serger so the inside doesn't fray? OR, Do I need to quilt it and then add the back duvet cover? Do you think it would hold up better than a normal quilt?
Here's why I ask. I own vacation rentals, and have store bought quilts on the beds. It fits the decore as one is a log cabin on the lake and the other is decorated western. BUT, because they are vaction rentals the quilts get washed and used heavy. The store ones last perhaps 1-2 yrs if I'm lucky before they start to come apart and I am a fanatic about torn or worn stuff so end up mending and donating to goodwill. I know the local made quilts would hold up better but if I paid 300-400 for one and it was torn I would cry.
Here is one site that has directions, I just was thinking more a traditional one, not knoted perhaps?

http://www.marcusbrothers.com/makeit...d_duvet_cover/

Would love to hear of any ideas.
Thanks so much!
Kathy
Old 08-24-2010, 08:52 AM

IMHO, I would make the quilt top separate with muslin for the inside and then attach a sheet to the back to make the sandwich. It depends on during what time of year this is also to be used as to what type of batting or any batting at all is used as you'll already have 3 layers of fabric.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:04 AM

First - Welcome - you will find tons of wonderful people with even more great advice.

I am glad you addressed this issue as I was thinking of doing the same thing. Perhaps a muslin under the top and then the bottom of the cover??

That is what I want to try.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:17 AM

I'm "listening" in on this topic. I have wondered about duvets as well!
Old 08-24-2010, 09:18 AM

What about using a serger? Do you think its needed?
Thanks everyone!
Kathy
Old 08-24-2010, 09:22 AM

Sorry Denise! Posted in wrong spot.
Would you knot or quilt the top to the first layer? Do you think it would hold up better in wash? I know it would give a more quilted look.
Kathy
Old 08-24-2010, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by kkbennett2000
Sorry Denise! Posted in wrong spot.
Would you knot or quilt the top to the first layer? Do you think it would hold up better in wash? I know it would give a more quilted look.
Kathy
If you want it to last through multiple uses/users :D I would machine quilt the top to batting (or not) and muslin (if used). Those 2 layers or 3 layers with batting. Then lay the front of the quilt to the sheet and sew together and turn inside out.

I hope this has made sense! :lol: If not, then PM me and I'll try to explain better.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:17 AM

It makes sense. Thank you! I think I will just use the fabric and no filling as I plan for it to always have a duvet inside. I hope this works.... :lol:
Old 08-24-2010, 11:29 AM

i don't see why not..but i would put muslin under the top,quilt it somewhat, then use a sheet for the backing..

i have made my own covers for years out of sheets and snaps. but never thought of using a quilt top...! great idea!
Old 08-24-2010, 12:49 PM

I'm sure it'll come out very nice. I've made duvet covers and they work wonderfully. One suggestion I do have is figure out where you want to put the end that you'll end up stuffing and how you want to close it up.