Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt top/duvet cover >

quilt top/duvet cover

quilt top/duvet cover

Old 11-06-2013, 05:53 AM

Default quilt top/duvet cover

I have finished my block of the month, queen sized quilt top. I would like to be able to use it as a duvet cover. My crazy thinking is that I am unable to quilt it with batting thick enough on my regular machine. So I picked up an inexpensive down comforter. If I can quilt it on something lightweight to re enforce it and then make it into the cover it would work. Any advice, comments or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:03 AM

If you are using it as a duvet cover does it need batting? Maybe just put a back on it so you don't get frayed seams and just bar tack it.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:09 AM

I've been thinking about this too. Since I like to take my duvet cover off and wash it more frequently than the down comforter I like the idea of a removable cover. So... I thought about putting a fusible interface on the back of the quilt top to anchor the seams and then attach a backing like a giant pillowcase. Not too sure about your quilt top design, but you could 'quilt' some of the top to the interfacing. Do you think this might work?
Old 11-06-2013, 07:23 AM

I was thinking about this too. Making a quilt top to turn into a duvet cover. My plan was to layer the top on really thin batting quilt that and then make it pillow case style with button closures. I was just going to bar tack the ties into the corners when I was done quilting the top.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
If you are using it as a duvet cover does it need batting? Maybe just put a back on it so you don't get frayed seams and just bar tack it.
That is what I would do to. You don't need any batting because of the down comforter. Just make a giant pillow case. You might want to go into JAF and look at the duvet cover patterns in the sewing catalogues. Different ideas on how to secure the comforter and you just might find one that you prefer. Good Luck !!
Old 11-06-2013, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by taj334 View Post
I have finished my block of the month, queen sized quilt top. I would like to be able to use it as a duvet cover. My crazy thinking is that I am unable to quilt it with batting thick enough on my regular machine. So I picked up an inexpensive down comforter. If I can quilt it on something lightweight to re enforce it and then make it into the cover it would work. Any advice, comments or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
I guess I don't really understand a duvet cover. I thought they were meant to slip over something like a comforter, where they'd be easy to remove and clean when necessary
Old 11-06-2013, 08:13 AM

I made a quilt into a king size duvet cover for my daughter. I used a very thin batting. She uses it in the summer on it's own and in the winter puts her duvet in it.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:42 AM
RST

When you have quarter inch seems and intend to wash something often, I think it's essential to have something reinforcing your piecing lines.

What if you put the pieced top on a layer of flannel and did some quilting-- no batting, it's totally up to you how you quilt it-- stitch in the ditch, meander, or all out. you could even do some trapunto if you want to have a little bit of texture and puffiness without adding too much weight. Then you create the duvet/pillow case like structure complete with a backing (seems like a flat sheet would be perfect.)
Old 11-06-2013, 10:06 AM

If you're going to use it as a duvet cover, make sure you back/face the top with a smooth fabric. Otherwise, the duvet will be a PITB, to insert into the cover!
Old 11-06-2013, 05:03 PM

I've done this. Stitched the top to a sheet and then made a pillowcase with fleece on the bottom (request from DS). Sewed ribbons on the bottom edges to tie it closed when the duvet was in. The kids say it works well