Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilt backing question

Banned
    I'm working on a very special quilt for a very special person as a gift. I found the absolute PERFECT backing....but....it's a 54x68 beach towel! the motif is so perfect for the recipients personality that I have to make this work somehow, I already set my heart on it. Do I use a very thin cotton batting, or would you use any batting at all? I plan on meander quilting by machine in larger "meanders" rather than the smaller type. It will find its new home in Idaho and I want it to have warmth and substance without being bulky. Any ideas or batting recommendations would be great!

Babeegirl

I wouldn't use any batting with it. I think the beach towel would be thick enough on it's own. I can't wait to see what you're going to do!! Sounds like FUN! :D

I wouldn't use batting either.
    Got pictures yet?
    Curious here!

I'm wondering if the quilting will sort of pucker without some sort of stabilization...how thick is the towel? maybe just use a piece of flannel in between? I don't know for sure ...I've never tried it but depending on the thickness of the towel and the other fabrics you might need a little something.

I'm curious too!! This sounds like an awesome project.

I would use a light weight batting. A beach towel may not be heavy enough to give you enough thickness when you do your quilting.

country quilter wrote

I'm wondering if the quilting will sort of pucker without some sort of stabilization
    I agree.

I think I would use flannel or at least the lighter variety, flannette like you use to make recieving blankets for babies.

nel

I would use flannel for batting or none at all (test with the flannel in between) and tie the quilt every 4-6" apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Country Quilter
    I'm wondering if the quilting will sort of pucker without some sort of stabilization... .
    My thoughts, too. I've never sewn terrycloth - what kind of needle would you use?

Banned
    I'm still waiting on the towel, I had to order it online so I don't know the handweight or feel of it yet. It' didn't say velour so I'm clueless on that point. Once I get it, I'll find a similar weight at Joannes and get some "test" yardage to play with the quilting. I'm thinking the flannel sounds like a good idea though. A larger eyed needle will most likely be necessary although since terrycloth has a larger weave I may be able to get by with just a regular:) I'm still working on the top. It's going to be a Mariners Compass/paperpieced using blacks, whites, yellow Bali's and Crown Royal bags. Should be interesting! Tomorrow and Sunday will be fun!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast