Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Basting Spray >

Quilt Basting Spray

Quilt Basting Spray

Old 02-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by janRN
Does the basting spray only work on cotton batting or does it also work on poly batting? I have both types of batting in my stash. Thanks.
It is supposed to work best on cotton batting (or 80/20 batting). I don't think I've seen anyone complain that basting spray with cotton batting didn't work well.

Some people have said they had problems with it sticking to poly batting; however, many have also posted that they have had no problems using basting spray with poly batting. It may depend somewhat on which basting spray is used; I'm not sure if it's that, or if poly needs extra basting spray, or if people simply vary in the amounts they spray on.

I think it's a good idea, after spray basting a large quilt, to also pin the edges all around the perimeter. This is not necessary on lap size quilts.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Power Poster

I use basting spray on all types of batting and have done well. I love it and like it better than pinning.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:32 AM

Spray basting makes hand quilting difficult. I think machine quilting is it's best use. Also I don't like the stuff from Joann's. The 505 is my favorite but I have not tried 606.

Rita
Old 02-07-2010, 06:01 AM

I make wall quilts and table runners mostly I use sulky 2000 and it doesn't keep things from shifting on my quilts so I use straight pins as well and spray a section at a time.

I only use white and wonderful or warm and wonderful quilt battings.

I haven't found a spray I really like. The sulky at least I can use indoors. I quilt mostly in the winter and I'm not going out doors to use some of the other sprays that hold better.

505 bothers my lungs; I'm an asthmatic. Many people say it doesn't bother them.

I also have June Tailor's spray and hate the fumes though it works better.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:04 AM

Well a bunch of Rita's here I am also Rita. I probably wouldn't have even opened my mouth since I have never used it before but the Rita's got me. lol. I plan on using it, do have a can of 505 I believe. But have been to chicken to use it. I know get out of the hen house and get on the roof, I can do this. Thanks Rita's for the advice.

Rita S.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:12 AM

I use the spray and love it but I also pin it. I haven't been brave enough to use the spray alone. I had soooo much trouble keeping the layers together. I love the spray.. I want to try the hair spray too.
Judy in Ohio
Old 02-07-2010, 05:18 PM

It would probably be benificial to use a mask when using any spray adhesive.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:05 PM

I'm new to quilting as well but I am TOTALLY sold on spray basting. Fast,easy and there is never a shift when I free motion quilt my efforts. I use my kitchen floor, tape the backing down, throw my batting in the dryer for 15 min. to decrease the folds, roll up quantity needed, and start spraying(I use 505) and unrolling the batting on top of the backing. Next I roll up my quilt top, place it at the bottom and start spraying, rolling and smoothing out the creases as I go. It's really easy and works well for me. I cannot imagine PINS...I'd DIE!
Old 04-06-2013, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by judy_68 View Post
I use the spray and love it but I also pin it. I haven't been brave enough to use the spray alone. I had soooo much trouble keeping the layers together. I love the spray.. I want to try the hair spray too.
Judy in Ohio
Hair Spray???
Old 04-06-2013, 04:46 AM

Give the glue (Elmers washable school glue) basting method a try....so cheap, easy, no fumes, no overspray to clean up and washes out completely with warm water/soap.