Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Basting Spray >

Quilt Basting Spray

Quilt Basting Spray

Old 04-06-2013, 06:12 AM

I used spray with cotton batting, but I needed help from my husband. We laid out the backing and the batting, then rolled the backing towards the middle of the quilt and started spraying/smoothing in sections. It took us a while since the batting was a little difficult to work with, but once it was done it was very secure. It probably took us an hour to do it, but I think maybe next time it'd go faster since we're familiar with the process now.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:07 AM

I've used it, and really like the way it binds the fabric and batting together. I have Sullivans. It really stinks. I first used it inside in the kitchen at the bar. The overspray was awful. I had sticky overspray on my counter, on my floor, that took 6 mo to a year to remove. Since then, I've used it on portable tables over carpeted surfaces and outside on my deck.

I like it because I tend to get tucks on the backside of my quilt when I pin baste it. With the spray, I haven't had any tucks on the back of the quilt from quilting.

I've used the Sulky spray for machine embroidery. I don't remember any smell from that.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:34 AM

I have used 505, but after trying out the Elmer's School Glue I'll never go back. DH and I try to eat really healthy foods and avoid cleaning supplies that chock us up (I'm especially allergic to flowers, perfumes, caustic cleansers, etc.) and I was scared to death to use 505. I opened windows on both ends of the room and even put a fan blowing out the down-wind window! It did OK, but I was not comfortable.

With Elmer's School Glue I can make a thin series of "S" curves from center outward in each quarter of the quilt w/o any dangers fumes. I can lift it if a winkle occurs (not a frequent problem) and replace. When I'm done with all four quarters I turn it over and glue the other side. It is faster (no need for fans and surgical mask), it is environmentally safe, it allows for quick adjustment if a section has a wrinkle, it can be made "permanent" by briefly ironing (or simply leaving it for awhile), the sewing machine has no problem with going over the glue (I even really overglued my first time and still no problem sewing over the glue), I can make last minute adjustments (did this once early on) by wetting the area and letting it dry and redoing it, use more Elmer's School on the binding (what a help!!!) and when all it done put it in the washer on gentle and clean it for gifting.... with no glue left. People on QB say it isn't really glue, more like the rice and water glue Asians use. Whatever, it is healthy, environmentally safe, and VERY inexpensive. And no pins to catch on my shirts and make awful little holes!!!

Last edited by Sierra; 04-06-2013 at 08:36 AM.