Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt basting useing the boards anyone try this >

quilt basting useing the boards anyone try this

quilt basting useing the boards anyone try this

Old 03-27-2015, 05:02 PM

Default quilt basting useing the boards anyone try this

hi found a video on u tube lady is using two flat boards I tried it today and I pinned and sew basted my quilt together i did not have long boards but I found some old and I mean old bed slats that were in my moms bed room and she has been gone 24 years they were just leaning in the corner closet I really liked the way that worked.I sat down at the 6 foot work table this will be my way to do hubby is going to get two new boards and sand them down best thing no back hurting and no crawling around on the floor.When it gets warmer will take them outside and use spray baste
Old 03-27-2015, 05:10 PM

Yes, I just tried it and was pleased with the result.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:41 PM

Yes, and it works great! I use them and spray baste, not hand baste. My best hint: cover the boards with flannel so the fabric clings as you wrap them.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:48 PM

You probably viewed a video by Sharon Schamber. Sharon is one of the top quilters in the US, if not the world. She is always trying to find ways to improve doing things.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
Yes, and it works great! I use them and spray baste, not hand baste. My best hint: cover the boards with flannel so the fabric clings as you wrap them.
great to know thank you
Old 03-28-2015, 04:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
great tip, thanks
Old 03-28-2015, 04:38 AM

I've been using this method for over a year now and love it. My quilts have never been flatter and honestly it's now so much easier to quilt (because they are so flat). I spray baste and pin. I have two sets of three boards, a long set for king/queen and a shorter set for twin and smaller. Got the nice guys at Home Depot to cut them for me. I do roll my batting too. I used to hate basting quilts, this method makes it so much easier. I'll add that I press and starch before rolling on the boards. This lets me start stop when I need to, as it's easy to leave and it won't get wrinkled! I use my dining room table. With leaves it's just a tad short for a queen, but the board method lets me easily slide side to side too. I've done at least 16 full sized or larger quilts this way, and i no long hate basting quilts together. PM if you need more info, I believe I've got an imgur album showing how I did a queen sized quilt with the boards.

heres a link to one of the pictures. http://imgur.com/fUcmPpW

Last edited by ktigger2; 03-28-2015 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Added a link
Old 03-28-2015, 05:59 AM

I have tried this method also and I like it too. I still do pin basting and other methods, but I do like this one. Anything beats crawling around on the floor.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:04 AM

I can't say enough about this method. Basting was so burdensome for me. I have trouble opening a safety pin with my arthritic fingers, much less 300 of them, but everything I read recommended against thread basting for machine quilting. Getting down on the floor is out of the question. I tried thread basting with my quilt clamped to my sewing table, and it took my fingers three weeks to recover, because of the pressure needed to maneuver the needle through the clamped down fabric. The bending over the table was also very laborious. I am so thankful someone recommended this method to me! Basting is now actually a pleasure. The herringbone stitch holds the sandwich perfectly for machine quilting, and is so easy to remove as you quilt. My quilt backs are beautiful, without a wrinkle in sight. Sharon Schamber is my hero! And I love listening to her instructional videos. She has the most pleasant, calm way of speaking.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:57 AM

Another fan here. I bought white finished boards at Home Depot and use painter's tape to secure the top and bottom to their respective boards to start. I just pin mine. I have two identical quilts to do today. Rolling the batting sounds like a good idea. The QB is also so informative.