Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Batting Odor Problem >

Quilt Batting Odor Problem

Quilt Batting Odor Problem

Old 12-06-2015, 02:14 PM

I have heard of cleaning braided rugs with fresh snow, so Prism99 has the right idea. Just sweep a layer of snow on top to keep debris off, and the snow will also rinse through the bat. Wouldn't hurt, especially if it is mildewed, and you might have to toss it. You could probably soak a bat in the tub with a milder solution of bleach, OR vinegar, OR ammonia(don't mix together!!), rinse, and hang outside when it is warm. That might also help the smell, if it is polyester batting.

Sorry for your loss. I hope you will keep some of her tools and fabric for later. You might decide you would like to take a class and get into it after you make the memory quilts.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:36 PM

Thank you all for your advice! I can't tell you how much I miss my mom and being able to pick up the phone to ask her questions. Being able to ask you all about this is like having lots of Moms all in one place.

Mom & Dad's house is an hour away, but I will be there later this week and will check the brand names. I googled "quilt batting" and looked at photos. If I had to guess, I'm thinking both Poly-fil & Mountain Mist. There are plenty to try each of your suggestions. I know there is Odo-Ban, Oxyclean, Febreze, fabric softner, vinegar and baking soda at the house. I will hang 1-2 out in the garage to freeze for a week or two as well. If these items that we already have don't work, I will pick up some of the pet odor stuff and try that.

I really would like to try to find something that works and use these. The quilts will not likely be used a whole lot, as I am making them as emergency quilts to keep in the trunks of cars and for sitting on at soccer games and picnics. I've started cutting up clothes, but I'm not to the cutting squares part yet. So, depending on the number of blocks I get, I will be making 4-12 quilts (kids & grandkids).

And, if all of these fail, they will be tossed and I will buy W&N when it goes on sale.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:45 PM

I am in charge of cleaning out their entire house - the home they lived in for 55 years! So, yes, lots of "stuff". Mom's sewing room will be the last room I do. The most difficult room. Last week, I divided up crochet hooks that were in the living room - enough for each of the 7 females in the family. Having multiples of almost everything sure makes it easier when making these decisions. Pretty sure that's why Mom had so much. Absolutely no arguments - enough for all. I haven't tacked quilting supplies yet, but I won't be surprised if there are 7 sets (or more) of that too.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:56 PM

I preWash my Warm & Natural cotton batting before using it. I have a side loading machine so no center agitator though. I wash it on a quick cycle, hot water with low spin cycle. Then dry it in the dryer. So I would wash that one. I have never prewashed poly batting however, but it seems more fragile so don't think it would hold up in the washer. Try some of the other suggestions or toss it.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:30 PM

I can't believe any of you did not think of the bags that are holding the poly batting. The bags might smell but not the batting inside. I would take the batting in the bags outside, remove it from the plastic bags, and see if it smells. Then if it does smell, I would put it in an old pillowcase and hang it up in the garage to freeze. Perhaps it does not smell at all.
Good luck with clearing out the house. I used to have a business doing this for other people who worked or did not want to do it. I just finished my niece's and I done my Mother's 11 room house plus attic, garage, and basement. It was a job but I sure found the goodies. Of course, all the sewing stuff, all personal stuff and all her dishes were willed to me because I am the only female with 4 brothers. I had to have auction for all the rest so my brothers got their share
but now I wish I would have bought more, but those things are gone forever. I wish you well in your endeavor.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:58 PM

I put my poly batts in the washer and drier to get the wrinkles out. Do not agitate - just soak and spin. For odors, Surf detergent if you can find it. Add washing soda, bleach (not with soda), vinegar (not with bleach), etc. I don't have musty smells, but in the past I had football clothes and currently have dog bedding. Fabric softener and Febreeze leave behind pleasant odors, but really don't remove the problem. Soap of some sort and lots of water are needed. I'm interested in the Gain Fling detergent I've heard advertised. I only use Cheer for me, but am more concerned with odor than color for the dogs' bedding.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:44 PM

I've pre-washed both poly & 100% cotton batts. I put in washer with small amount of detergent (no bleach or fabric softener) on cold water and either the soak or handwash cycle. Then, I dry for 20 minutes on low heat & hang dry overnight. Never had any issues with that method & it should get rid of the smell. Try it once, if it's not enough, try adding 1/4 C white vinegar to the wash. I am very sensitive to smells, so I would run it through the wash a second time immediately after the vinegar wash finished. Then, dry same as I always do.

PS - If you do end up buying new W&N, I've found Walmart.com tends to have better deals than even Joann with a 60% off coupon. I buy 25 yards at a time, but even the individual packages are usually the cheapest. Hope you find some warm, happy memories of your mom as you work on finishing all those lovely quilts she started.

Last edited by Bree123; 12-06-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:43 AM

Would it be an idea to put the polyester batting inside a mesh laundry bag, similar to those made for "unmentionables". The batting might be better protected and less subject to shredding.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
I put my poly batts in the washer and drier to get the wrinkles out. Do not agitate - just soak and spin. For odors, Surf detergent if you can find it. Add washing soda, bleach (not with soda), vinegar (not with bleach), etc. I don't have musty smells, but in the past I had football clothes and currently have dog bedding. Fabric softener and Febreeze leave behind pleasant odors, but really don't remove the problem. Soap of some sort and lots of water are needed. I'm interested in the Gain Fling detergent I've heard advertised. I only use Cheer for me, but am more concerned with odor than color for the dogs' bedding.
When my grandson came back from Afghanistan, his uniforms/clothes/bedding, etc stunk to high Heaven! Think locker room, teenage boys, locked up in hot containers for a while. I washed everything that was washable in detergent (Tide) and Arm and Hammer Baking Soda. Actually worked like a charm. All the stinky boy smell was gone!! If she has a lot of batting packages, it might be worth it to sacrifice one and wash/dry one. I bought it at Wal-Mart, can't remember the price. Just the plain Baking Soda, not detergent with baking soda added.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]537409[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails images.jpg  
Old 12-07-2015, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

First of all, my sincere condolences in the loss of both your parents. Your Mom left you a legacy and I'm pleased that you will travel in her footsteps. I've read several suggestions, but leaving the batting outside, especially in cold weather, sounds like it would get rid of the musty basement smell. I would try that before tossing the batting out, as it can be expensive. I wish you good luck with the smelly batting and again, my condolences, as I'm sure it has been a sad and tough year for you.