Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Getting rid of smoke odor on iron?? >

Getting rid of smoke odor on iron??

Getting rid of smoke odor on iron??

Old 02-14-2011, 08:57 PM

Today our LQG had an auction of UFOs, gadgets, fabric scraps etc. etc. brought in by members. I bought one of those tiny colored irons that are so cute. I had errands around town and got home after 6 P/. This thing smells like cigarette smoke so strongly that my eyes are watering and my nose is running (allergic) and my car stinks . What can I use to rid this little iron of this smoke odor. I sprayed with Febreze, wiped the cord & iron with Dawn. Please help--it is so cute! Thanks Sue
Old 02-14-2011, 09:02 PM

oh i hate the smoke good luck might try putting it in a plastic bag with newspaper
Old 02-14-2011, 09:03 PM

i had this happen to when I madee a cheez samwich with the iron liek I saw to do on the web. u Live n U lern.

Sweatie
Old 02-14-2011, 09:07 PM

Put it in a plastic bag with an unwrapped bar of either Dial or Safeguard deodorant soap. Works every time.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:10 PM

I'm a smoker and I clean mine with white vinegar and warm water. It gets rid of the residue and if it is one where you can add water clean it out with steam iron cleaner. This is why I don't sell my fabrics or books don't want people offended.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstodo
I'm a smoker and I clean mine with white vinegar and warm water. It gets rid of the residue and if it is one where you can add water clean it out with steam iron cleaner. This is why I don't sell my fabrics or books don't want people offended.
I'm an ex smoker that doesn't mind smoke smell as long as it's not stale. I've bought LOTS of fabric that smells like smoke and it can be washed with vinegar and baking soda. Personally I don't mind as long as I know ahead of time. IMPO all sellers should put in their postings whether or not they smoke or have pets---I'm deathly allergic to cats and cat hair.
Never realized that smoke could get embedded into things like irons but it sounds like some good suggestions listed here. Hope they work.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:14 PM

This is an update on getting rid of the smoke smell in the tiny iron: I tried newspaper over night and it still smelled awful, then I tried 2 bars of Safeguard unwrapped bath soap for 24 hours and it still stinks awful.... actually it is the cord that is retaining the most odor so I may throw it away and see if I have a cord that will fit the iron. I don't know if it is the rubber or vinyl or whatever an electric cord is made of that has retained the smoke odor or what but it really stinks yet!! Any other ideas??? Thanks Sue
Old 02-16-2011, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by SewinSue
This is an update on getting rid of the smoke smell in the tiny iron: I tried newspaper over night and it still smelled awful, then I tried 2 bars of Safeguard unwrapped bath soap for 24 hours and it still stinks awful.... actually it is the cord that is retaining the most odor so I may throw it away and see if I have a cord that will fit the iron. I don't know if it is the rubber or vinyl or whatever an electric cord is made of that has retained the smoke odor or what but it really stinks yet!! Any other ideas??? Thanks Sue
Put it back in the bag with Safeguard. Leave it in the bag for a week. 24 hours is not long enough for anything to work.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:28 PM

Well ok. I didn't know it would take that long. Thank you very much for telling me that. I will forget about it until next Tuesday. THANKS. Sue