Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How do I get rid of mineral deposits in my iron?

My iron is still a good iron, except for mineral deposits it leaves on my fabric. I can actually see the flaky pieces in the holes on the plate.

Do I clean it like a coffee pot with vinegar?

I don't have the funds to buy a new iron right now.

Thanks for reading and for any replies!

Michelle

Good question, wish I knew the answer.

Blog Entries
    i googled your question and was going to attach a few links... but some of them have vulgar language... finally found this one http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/ques...ow-can-i-clean
    they all seem to believe that white vinegar is the answer and don't use CLR

Blog Entries
    I think my Rowenta iron instruction books say to fill it with vinegar and steam it out on an old thick towel. Then refill it with water and steam it again on a clean old thick towel so you are sure to get it all out.

HTH

Blog Entries
    I used vinegar in irons before BUT I haven't done it in my newest one yet (it's only 3 yrs old).
    This is what I did. At your own risk--
    I poured white vinegar into a cold iron....filled it up all the way. Let it set overnight. Plugged it in and pushed the steam button till it stopped steaming. Poured the rest of it out and filled with distilled water a few times till the vinegar smell was gone.
    Still worked great till I dropped it and broke it 2 mos later.

Do you think this will work with a straight steam iron? I bought one and after using it once it spits out rust..I'm not ironing my quilt stuff with that! I was really disappointed...

Blog Entries
    I have used vinegar years ago at my parents house - it works.

Do you have iron in your water? We do so I use bottled water.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glassquilt
    I use bottled water.
    in my good iron. i have an old iron i use for fusibles and such and use softened tap water in that.

I used vinegar, too. Only I set my iron outside when I plugged it in and turned it on. I didn't want that overly salad smell in the house or garage.

Didn't even need to rinse it. Just let it set outside for awhile.

ali

Use distilled water to help dissolve down the heavy deposits that build up from time to time.

I still use vinegar or lemon juice to get the heavy stuff out, but sometimes just using distilled in our heavy water area still acts as if I used the vinegar/lemon juice - it cuts up all but the most heavily baked on stuff. So I switch back and forth between the two to avoid etching the metal in my iron/ teapot or the plastic in my cups.

I place a baking rack on my ironing board with a kitchen towel on top of that. Fill your iron with iron and let it steam away the mineral deposits. May have to do this a few times; depending on the seriousness of the deposits.

You'll have a brand new iron again. I also use only distilled water in my iron.

You can also try just putting water without vinegar, let it heat up and hold your steam button until empty a couple of times. This is what my Rowenta recommends. I do it over my bathroom sink. My Rowenta also recommends tap water versus distilled water. I have another iron, EuroPro, which recommends distilled water and I don't have a build up in that one. If you still have the book that came with your iron, see what kind of water it recommends. It does make a difference. If water only doesn't clear the problem then I'd try the vinegar. My coffee pot recommends a 50/50 solution. Then rinse with plain water a couple of times.

Yes, use vinegar. Probably 1/3 mix.

Blog Entries
    I have to confess my unconventional method for de-scaling my iron. It voids warranties, so someone with a new iron may not want to try it! I tried vinegar first with very little success. (Note: This included vinegar full-strength, allowing it to sit, heating it up and steaming it, etc.)

Anyway, what I use is Iron Out, a product you can find in hardware stores. It is used to clean mineral deposits from water softeners, I think. It works pretty well for my iron. However, I still have to take a pin and pry off flecks of scale from around each hole. This is painstaking work and takes awhile, but is not hard to do.

Our water had (we have since moved) a lot of minerals in it, and my iron said the warranty was voided if I used distilled water in it (something about needing ions??? should ask dh about that.....). Maybe it wouldn't have had such a build-up if I'd ignored the info that came with the iron and used distilled water.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VickyS
    Use distilled water to help dissolve down the heavy deposits that build up from time to time.

I still use vinegar or lemon juice to get the heavy stuff out, but sometimes just using distilled in our heavy water area still acts as if I used the vinegar/lemon juice - it cuts up all but the most heavily baked on stuff. So I switch back and forth between the two to avoid etching the metal in my iron/ teapot or the plastic in my cups.
    some irons say to NOT use distilled water..my Maytag does...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    I have to confess my unconventional method for de-scaling my iron. It voids warranties, so someone with a new iron may not want to try it! I tried vinegar first with very little success. (Note: This included vinegar full-strength, allowing it to sit, heating it up and steaming it, etc.)

Anyway, what I use is Iron Out, a product you can find in hardware stores. It is used to clean mineral deposits from water softeners, I think. It works pretty well for my iron. However, I still have to take a pin and pry off flecks of scale from around each hole. This is painstaking work and takes awhile, but is not hard to do.

Our water had (we have since moved) a lot of minerals in it, and my iron said the warranty was voided if I used distilled water in it (something about needing ions??? should ask dh about that.....). Maybe it wouldn't have had such a build-up if I'd ignored the info that came with the iron and used distilled water.
    just use regular bottled water..NOT distilled!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    just use regular bottled water..NOT distilled!
    Funny, I never thought of that!

I have a filter on the water dispensor on my fridge ,I havn't had any problem since using the flitered water.

My new iron said to not use distilled water either. I still do.