Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Removing Smoke Odor

Removing Smoke Odor

How can I remove smoke odor from a fabric item that can't be washed?

Depends on what the fabric is. Try sprinkling with soda, put in a pillow case and let set a few days and then shake it out.

Air it out outside if you can, it will take a long time. Fabrics absorb. I had a friend that kept painting and painting the walls in her house, they white kept yellowing. Someone told her it was Nicotene on the walls. Take it to get it drycleaned if you can.

Bag it with a ton of baking soda, seal up for at least a week then shake it outside. A good airing on a warm day will help after the baking soda treatment.

In winter, my grandmother put her quilts outdoors on the clothesline on still frosty nights. She said it took odors out of them. Guess it was just airing them out.
    Last edited by tapper; 03-06-2016 at 07:28 AM.

There is a great product called Nok-Out. I believe the company has changed it's name but you can google Nok-Out and read a lot about it and order it from Amazon. A great article is from everydaycheapskate.com
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

yel
    Blog Entries
    they told me to put newpaper in my tupperware to get rid of the smell .....maybe put it in a tote with some newpaper ...i would put outside in the sun to warm it some.......it worked when a friend brought a pig home in the front of his truck--we put lots of crumpled paper in the truck /rolled the windows up and set in the sun for a long afternoon really made a difference

I used newspaper and charcoal in an old sewing machine case that had that very strong old oil smell and it worked. Maybe could can put your item in a plastic bag with the paper and charcoal. Other than that you might try Fabreeze spray. They do have an unscented one, if that bothers you. Fresh air and sunshine may work, too. Please let us know how it works.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    If you use the newspaper put it into a cotton cloth or the fabric in a cotton cloth. I'd be careful with newspaper print against the fabric. It does help though!

What kind of smoke? There is a difference. Cigarette smoke has sticky nicotine in it.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    I would spray it with Lysol and then hang it outside for a couple of days to really air out.

I always use charcoal, the kind you use for BBQ. It works beautifully to remove odors. We had a basement get water in a room that had some vintage furniture in it and a terrible odor followed us everywhere. I read about the charcoal and put several opened bags in the room and in a few weeks, the odor was gone.

When I owned my upholstery shop, I had to send out a whole living room suit to be "De-smoked". We used a company called called Servpro.

I took the fee they charged out of my Upholsterer's pay, I didn't allow smoking in my shop. He was smoking cigarettes in the workroom, while I was in the hospital. Needless to say he was unemployed shortly afterwards.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad