Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt class advice >

quilt class advice

quilt class advice

Old 01-28-2015, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

Look at it this way, anyone taking the class is looking to learn something new. Something that they have not done before. In this way, you are all beginners.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:05 AM

BarbinLA has pretty much covered everything. My retreat/class machine is a Singer Featherweight. It travels in a Coleman soft-sided cooler that has a plastic inner lining. It also has outside pockets and a top zippered pocket, so I can carry my notions, fabrics and tools. A heavy-duty multiple plug extension cord is a must (mine is one of those that winds the cord up and has 4 outlets -- sewing machine, light, fan and iron. I have a wooden tea tray that I put batting on and made a removable cover for a pressing station and my 12" x 18" cutting mat fits it perfectly. If it is a class-type retreat, they must furnish you a supply list and any advance cutting instructions. If it is a do-your-own-thing retreat, decide on which projects you want to do. I always take more than I know I will get to, so if I change my mind, I have something to work on. Do any cutting at home so that you will have more sewing time at the retreat. The last retreat I went to, I decided to take only UFOs and got 4 quilt tops finished, made significant progress on another, got a little paper-piecing in, too, on an American Beauty kit (this is my "retreat project" and goes to every retreat, and worked on a fusible BOM.

One thing I would suggest is that you find out where the retreat is being held. If it is at a retreat center, they will probably have a website that you can look at. Also, see if there are any LQSs in the area where the retreat is being held and plan to take a couple hours to visit them.

I belong to two quilt guilds, and each one has at least one retreat a year. I enjoy getting away from the "real world" and spending time with the other guild members. It gives me a chance to learn more about those I haven't gotten to know.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

Don't waste the chance to go and do! My quilt buddies and I use to take every quilt class and workshop available within a couple hours drive. Go to all the national quilt shows too. Now I'm taking care of my grands during the day, the other has elderly mother to care for, and the other friend has a very sick DH. We can't go and do like we use to. I'm so glad I took all those classes and trips. I learned something in every one that has helped my quilting be better. Craftsy classes are all I can do right now and I'm so glad they are available. Grands will be in pre school soon and I'll be back to going and doing.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:48 PM

Don't be nervous, what's the worst thing that could happen? I took my first quilt class in 1998 with a Singer from the 60s. The instructors & class members could not have been more helpful, they knew I didn't know much & went out of their way to be sure I was understanding the program. Put your machine & gear in a carry-on size suite case with wheels & drag it to that class & go for it!
Old 01-29-2015, 03:46 AM

This has all been great advice. I practically mugged a facilities staff member at work when I saw his rolling tool box as it looks perfect for totting a machine. Poor man looked a little frightened, worried I was complaining about his spreading out his tools in my office. When I finally explained why I was asking a numb look came over his face, "oh, for sewing" he said. I suspect he has a sewer in his life, as he looked resigned, almost beaten. This was the face of a person who has watched some one disappear into a fabric store for hours at a time.
I am a fairly experienced sewer, and certainly can ride herd on my own machine and its desire to occasionally create rossettes of thread with bobbin thread. My goal will be to 1. Have that not happen, 2. Remember my polite words rather than the words I say alone in my sewing room when that happens!