Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt class advice >

quilt class advice

quilt class advice

Old 01-27-2015, 04:45 AM

Ask about attendees who are beginner sewists. Perhaps you can befriend them beforehand to ease your nerves. Ask the retreat co-ordinator if you two or 3 can meet at the shop for an intro....go get lunch and get acquainted beforehand if you can. Always nice to see a familiar face.

Hey, sewing is like bowling, i dont want anyone to tell me how to do it! Unless, of course, I ask for help. Bowling is just an annoyance to me.

enjoy the retreat! I wish I had time to do one myself!

sandy
Old 01-27-2015, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

A retreat is great for a beginner quilter. Even if you don't do the main project because it's too advanced or your aren't comfortable with it, bring a project you know you can do. No one will care about the machine you have and if for some reason your machine messes up, speak up. Someone or two will always bring a spare machine. Accept it if needed, that's why they bring it, to be used if needed. Have fun.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:31 AM

I hope you go and enjoy the retreat. You need to find out if it will be having classes, special projects to work on or just work on your own projects. I just got back from a retreat and we work on our own projects. Then one day we have a quilt picked out that all that want to join can make. It is usually an easy one day quilt. Some do it, some don't. Depends on what they have planned for the week or if they care for the pattern picked out. As for carrying your machine, just stick it in your car and don't worry about having a fancy carrier. You can get one later if you plan on doing these outings often. Save that money for fabrics. As others have said, the other quilters are usually more than happy to assist or give advice if you ask for it. They are there for the fun of it too. No pressure.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:01 AM

I agree with June: Not all teachers can quilt. Also, I have a rolling shopping cart for groceries or laundry. I made an outside cover to go all around the sides and put pockets in it. I could then see all my supplies at a glance. I unpacked all my supplies to then fold the cart to drive home. I have used it for 25 years and it is as good as new.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:21 AM

The machine I take cost $49. does straight stitch and zigzag. I can't lift heavy objects and I can lift this with 2 fingers.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:55 AM

One thing no one else has mentioned...bring a power strip/surge protector strip! A lot of rooms don't have enough outlets and the cords on our machines, irons, Ott lights, etc., usually aren't long enough to reach the wall (all the retreats/classes I've been on, the tables are set perpendicular to the wall, so the person furthest from the wall can't reach an outlet at all). Hope this suggestion helps.

Just relax and enjoy yourself. If the class/retreat is through an LQS or guild, perhaps they can "hook you up" with another quilter/mentor beforehand, so you can meet prior to the class. That way, you will know someone and not feel so "alone". Just a thought...
Old 01-27-2015, 11:08 AM
Power Poster

Tartan gives great advice, call the store for a list of supplies and what you need to bring. A rolling luggage cart would make transporting your machine easier. Your sewing machine is just fine, it's what you use and I seriously doubt that any quilter with a very high end machine would bring it to a class, at least I wouldn't. Quilters are very special people, generous, thoughtful and welcome new quilters regardless of their skill level. Go, I'm sure you will have a great time and learn a lot. I've been quilting for many years, but every time I take a class I learn something new, so go and enjoy.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:20 PM

I am nervous when I try new things also. Great advice here. I regret not participating in classes and retreats for many of my quilting years journey. Now I go whenever I can, especially retreats. Have a project or 2 or 3 in case you change your mind what you want to work on.

Since you are at a LQS not a big worry about forgetting something. You can buy it but usually one of your fellow retreaters will have what is needed.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:18 PM

Thank you all! I signed up, and learned that there will be two instructors teaching two quilt patterns. It is in April, so they have not created the supply list.
Comments here reassured me, and I am looking forward to the retreat!
Old 01-28-2015, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I would much rather have a classmate that knows how to operate a "simple" machine well than a classmate that knows zilch sbout his/her TOL machine.

( the above comment does not apply to a class about learning to operate the machine.)
I'm with you! I would get so frustrated when I would to go to classes with people who didn't even know how to wind a bobbin or change stitch lengths or widths on their own TOL machines! I shy away from most classes now because of that - I know it is my problem not the teachers, but I am usually there to learn a new technique, not have someone learn their machine - they should do it on their own time, not on mine.

I agree with everyone - call for more specifics about the class, and don't worry about your machine, knowing how to operate it is more important than anything.

Let us know how it goes, Enjoy!