Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt Design Software...which one to get?

I would like to purchase a quilt design program. Any recommendations? At this point I'm not even knowledgeable about what is available.

Blog Entries
    I started with Quilt Wizard (about $25) then got EQ7 (on sale about $140) You are limited with what you can do with QW but is a great place to start. EQ7 is unlimited on design possiblities. I love playing with it.

Blog Entries
    i have EQ5. i got it years ago before 6 or 7. there are some bells and whistles on 7, but i haven't needed anything that 5 doesn't offer. i've heard that the drawback to 6 is that it can be loaded on a limited number of computers. i've had a few computer replacements, so i wouldn't go for 6. i could not live without my EQ. it allows me to draft blocks that i see here and gives me yardage requirements for my quilts. also, very easy to change colorways to see what i like best.

Depends on how much you want to spend.
    I have the Quilt Design Wizard. It is only around $29.
    You cannot design your own blocks with it.
    It has lots of blocks to play with and resize. Design your quilt and add your colors.
    Its a cheap way to go and comes in handy.
    You can also download a monthy pattern that goes back years so lots of patterns.

Blog Entries
    EQ7 is on sale at Eleanor Burn's website for $132. Only software I think is worth the money is EQ.

Thanks for the info. I have been thinking about looking into a program; but don't know much about how they work. I will be watching this thread closely.

http://www.cosman.nl/software_en.htm
    This one is called Quilt Assistant and it's FREE.

Blog Entries
    I have EQ5 and it works great. (I've had it for several years.) My quilting partner bought the EQ7 and it is has some things that are great but it is not worth it to me to buy a new program for just the new things on EQ7. If there isn't much of a difference in price between EQ5 and 7 then get 7 but if there is a difference and you can find a new EQ5 then it will be more than sufficient.

I also have Quilt Pro...I prefer EQ5. I started out with Quilt Pro (I don't know if they still make Quilt Pro) but then I found that EQ5 worked better for me.

Another plus with the EQ 5 and 7 is that they have videos to watch to see how to do things.

I have Quilt Pro and have been using it since version 4--now up to 7. It has a PC version and a Mac version so you don't need an emulator program to run it on a Mac and it's a little cheaper than Electric Quilt. Http://www.quiltpro.com

There are also some other programs they sell that will work with Quilt Pro much like the add-ons for Electric Quilt.

Quilt Pro isn't as popular as Electric Quilt so there aren't scads of users to trade patterns with but there is a yahoo group for it as well as a forum on the company web-site where you can connect with others and share blocks or patterns. They also have a free block of the day and a free quilt of the month.

The moderators on the company forum have been very responsive to any questions I've had over the years.

Try www.mywebquilter.com, it is free, easy to use and something you can try before spending a lot.