Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt design software? >

Quilt design software?

Quilt design software?

Old 09-09-2013, 05:59 AM

Default Quilt design software?

I've been quilting for years, but have never used software on my PC to see how a design would look with different shapes, patterns, etc. I have tons of fabric and think this could really aid me in visualizing.

Is there a good program that wouldn't cost more than about $100?

I saw two EQ programs on eBay a while ago, Kaleidoscope and Stash Fall '08, but don't know whether they are any good for what I think I want to do.

Can anyone help me from their experience? Thanks!
Old 09-09-2013, 06:18 AM

you first need to buy the eq7 software, kaleidoscope and stash are add on programs
Old 09-09-2013, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

EQ7 costs more than $100, but it is SO worth it. Eleanor Burns' Quiltinaday web site has it on sale from time to time.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
EQ7 costs more than $100, but it is SO worth it. Eleanor Burns' Quiltinaday web site has it on sale from time to time.
I will check that out! Do you suppose 'used' SW is available out on eBay or such, and what would I need to be sure was included?
Old 09-09-2013, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

i have EQ5 and have not found a need to upgrade. so if cost is a concern, try for a used copy of EQ5. i don't recommend EQ6 because it has limited lives.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i have EQ5 and have not found a need to upgrade. so if cost is a concern, try for a used copy of EQ5. i don't recommend EQ6 because it has limited lives.
Thank you -- that is just the sort of information I need.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

I agree with avoiding EQ6 because of the licensing issue. On the other hand, a huge improvement in the interface was made in EQ6, and functionality has been increased in both 6 and 7. I believe in starting with the most current version of any software that I intend to really use. I started with EQ6 and have upgraded to EQ7 and will continue to upgrade as new releases become available. I have the Dear Jane software, which was based on EQ5, and I find it very frustrating to use it after becoming used to EQ6 and now EQ7. I am always leery about buying used version of software, because you don't know for sure that the license is intact. There is a listing for EQ7 at a discount on Amazon, not as good as the one often given on quiltinaday though.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
I upgraded to EQ5 and it does what I need. If you buy on eBay, make sure of what is included. You should get the CD (that is the program) without any scratches and two books, a cookbook and a get started book. ALWAYS ask questions when buying on eBay. Someone on the board may have upgraded and they may have one for sale. Good Luck.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I upgraded to EQ5 and it does what I need. If you buy on eBay, make sure of what is included. You should get the CD (that is the program) without any scratches and two books, a cookbook and a get started book. ALWAYS ask questions when buying on eBay. Someone on the board may have upgraded and they may have one for sale. Good Luck.
Thank you to you and dunster -- I don't need to be wasting money. I just don't know whether I will really use it, and our income is severely circumscribed.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

Quiltinaday price is currantly $142.... you see this after putting item in your basket for checkout!