Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: quilt design

Hello. I am hoping to find a quilt designer who can take a photo and give me a quilt top pattern. I'm a beginner quilter in skill, but have been quilting for about 8 years so I am ready to take on something more challenging. Any ideas??
    Margaret Bly
    Tucson, AZ

Try your design skills with graph paper and colored pencils.
    You'll surprise yourself. Just remember to stick to the basic rules of operation..1/4" seam and all that jazz. =)

You could put tracing paper over the square and trace it, then straighten the lines on the final copy

Blog Entries
    Are you talking about a pieced top? Appliqued top? Or a quilting design on a quilt top? :D:D:D

Thank you. So: Enlarge the picture. Use graph paper to keep the size uniform. color the picture in as desired? Good idea. I'll try it.

I have a 2 x 2.5 photo of a sailing ship that I want to expand to a queen size quilt. Graph paper and care will probably work. Thank you.

You are correct. My "problem" is how to convert a photo into a pattern to work with. Graph paper, colored pencils, and triangles should make the sailing ship possible, what aboout the graduating colors of deep water blue up to the sky?

I'm not sure what method I want to use. I first need to figure out how to take a photograph of a sailing ship on the ocean and turn it into an effective quilt. I think I need to design the ship first and figure out the back ground later. Sounds like applique. Thank you for your suggestion.