Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: quilt guild challenge - need some advice

Blog Entries
    Every year our guild hosts a challenge night . This year is really taxing my brain :-( the challenge is to use one block - but in 3 different sizes on the item. It can be a table runner, quilt, whatever. Being fairly new to quilting I am really stumped. I thought of doing some sort of disappearing nine patch but not sure if that would work in three different sizes or not. Any ideas? (I hope no one that is our guild is reading this cuz I don't want to be accused of cheating !) i will make the quilt or whatever I just need an idea. Keep in mind I need it to be kinda simple! Thanks!

You can do a disappearing 9 patch. The four corners are one size squares. The rectangles connecting the squares are a different size, and the middle rectangle is larger.

how about doing dresden plates.

you could even layer the 3 sizes on top of each other to make a 3D flower effect.

I was thinking 'stars'--the Ohio kind. Think of multiples. 4",8", 12" Now, take the 12" as your center. Then take the 8" as your corners. Then take 2 row of 3 - 4" stars as your sides. Table topper.

Great ideas.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ragqueen03
    Every year our guild hosts a challenge night . This year is really taxing my brain :-( the challenge is to use one block - but in 3 different sizes on the item. It can be a table runner, quilt, whatever. Being fairly new to quilting I am really stumped. I thought of doing some sort of disappearing nine patch but not sure if that would work in three different sizes or not. Any ideas? (I hope no one that is our guild is reading this cuz I don't want to be accused of cheating !) i will make the quilt or whatever I just need an idea. Keep in mind I need it to be kinda simple! Thanks!
    I used two different sizes of the Disappearing 9 Patch for my quilt. Big ones for the middle and smaller ones for the border.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ohio or evening stars look great in different sizes. When I saw evening star, I mean the one that's basically 4 flying geese around a square. You could teach one of the quick piecing methods for flying geese.

I have a book called Pattern on Pattern by Ruth McDowell. If you can find a copy check out the amazing ways she combines blocks so that you have large copies of a design holding smaller copies of the same design.

I have been on a pinwheel kick lately and they are really easy, they can be done in multiple sizes and as along as you iron the seams open they lay flat and pm if you need help doing them from squares....Fast process too!!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerK
    I was thinking 'stars'--the Ohio kind. Think of multiples. 4",8", 12" Now, take the 12" as your center. Then take the 8" as your corners. Then take 2 row of 3 - 4" stars as your sides. Table topper.
    This was my thought too but I like the sound of dunster's book. :D

EDIT - http://www.amazon.com/Pattern-Specta.../dp/0844226319

$145?????? I think that's a typo! Luckily there are used copies from $2.97! :mrgreen:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast