Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QUILT HALO >

QUILT HALO

QUILT HALO

Old 12-27-2008, 07:42 AM

have you ever noticed when they do these demo's the right side of the quilt is never rolled or stuff into the arm ???? it sure is a lot easier to quilt when you on the edge !

Mary L
Old 12-27-2008, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
It looks like you'd have to put too much presser on it to keep it from sliding around for me.
it is actually really quite heavy so you don't have to put a lot of pressure on it, no more than you would if you were just moving the fabric with your hands with out the ring
Old 12-27-2008, 09:01 AM

The white ring ones have sponge glued to the back so when you place your hands on them they don't slide around, mayber her ring does too?
Old 12-27-2008, 09:42 AM

no. no sponge stuff on it. it is just a heavy ring must be some type of metal but it is rubbery plastic coated so it stays in place
Old 12-27-2008, 09:51 AM

scrap_lover09,
Do you have one? Have you used it on larger quilts? I have a machine that drops into the cabinet, so I have a very large flat surface to work on. I mostly make quilts that are twin size or larger.
Thanks, Max
Old 12-27-2008, 10:03 AM

I found that since Im just beginning on free motion that if you just do the border with the designs it helps to learn. The main part of the quilt I use the walking foot and do straight or diagional lines.
Borders you are not wrestling with the quilt so much and you can consentrate on the design. I like the leaf stencil best, it is a continuous line and easy to follow.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:57 PM

I have never seen one or used one either. But it sure sounds interesting. Good luck to everyone using this method.

Happy New Year,
Cheryl
Old 12-28-2008, 06:43 AM

I'm just learning as well and all my friends keep saying is Practice, Practice, Practice! :P I actually got a great tip from a friend who said she made about a hundred place mats for the kitchen table and pot holders to practice on. Not only did she get in a bunch of practice and become fairly proficient before ever sewing on one of her own quilts, she also had all her Christmas gifts taken care of for the year. Now that is practical! :lol: I ignored everyone and went and bought some cute panels, like the kind with Christmas nativity scenes and one that has cute lambs all over it. I have four or five of them now and I'm planning to sandwich them and then simply free motion along the already drawn lines. That and I actually bought a yard of fabric that has various pre-printed quilting lines all over it. It is made specifically to help with free motion quilting. When I bought it the gal said to first sew it without any thread, just allowing the needle to punch down into the fabric and come up empty. This will allow me to get used to the motion and how it feels to free motion quilt before I use the panel up. It has everything from feathers to stipple to clamshells and about eight other designs. Now if I could just find the right box (we moved a couple months ago) I can get started. :lol:
Piece ~ Tiffany
Old 02-23-2009, 03:35 AM

Hi Tiffany. Do you remember where you go the fabric with the pre-printed quilting designs. That would be great to practice on.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:32 AM

Yes, please tell us where you got it from. I am working on my first quilt and it has truly been an interesting endeavor and any help I can get (you all are doing a great job of helping me on a daily basis with all your great ideas and solutions) when I get to that quilting part. I do plan to follow your ideas of creating something smaller to practice the quilting on before starting on the king size quilt.