Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt idea >

quilt idea

quilt idea

Old 11-10-2016, 03:21 PM

Smile quilt idea

I would love to go to a quilting group, I can not get anyone to to agree with me. I keep thinking how nice it would be for our small local churches to have ( all we have in our area ) sewing, quilting groups. They could be one for young people and then one for older groups like me or together. Some coffee and cookies people bring your projects to work on or have one pattern everyone make it. In an area that is smaller or does not have people you know wanting to be apart of sewing or quilting or even embroidery. Could add people to your church or just a wonderful time of sharing and working along with help for each other. My church said yes you can do it, but I am not someone who could pull this off.
Maybe this would give someone that could do this the idea in your area. I am sure it would be a great for all.
P.s. I would take me over an hour just to get to a place. Yes larger churches would be great also we do not have any in my area. Our churches range 25 to 50 people.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:07 PM
Power Poster

I put up notices everywhere, Walmart craft/fabric dept. library, grocery stores, Dr. offices, about a Quilting Group being started and anyone interested in learning how to quilt or to share their quilting skills were welcome. I was hoping for at least 5 people. At the first meeting 63 people showed up! The group has evolved and change but still going strong with an average of 25 members after eleven years. We have a yearly local quilt show to display our work. Loads of fun and no meetings, rules, or elected officers.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:23 PM

A local church here has a Guild, it meets once a month and everyone does their own thing, except for one month every one works on quilts for the Linus Project. It starts at 9am and ends at 4pm, on a Saturday, we all bring our own lunch except for a salad or dessert to share. The ladies that are members of the church coordinate it all, the dues were $20.00 for the year, it buy items needed. I got involved because a member invited me. I loved going but life got in my way. If you can get a few people to start, it can grow over time. Put notices out like Onebyone did and if possible see if a local paper can give it a free space. When you meet a new person that sews, give them an invite flyer. My church used to have a similar group but it was on Thursday afternoons - it ended as the members got older and older. I worked full time so weekdays were not an option, which was the case for a lot of folks.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 11-10-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:37 AM

Something like that does not fit in my schedule but I would enjoy it. Was talking to another (non-quilting) friend the other day and she participates in a 'sewing' group at her library. The other ladies bring knitting; crocheting; sewing...she brings cross stitch. They work on their own projects at their own speed but just enjoy one another's company and it gets them out of the house for a bit.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:45 AM

We lived in a small town and I longed for quilting friends. 4 yrs ago we moved to larger town and I have more opportunities than I can do.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:23 AM

Small parishes are just as likely to do this. A church near me quilts every Thursday morning, but they are making charity quilts. Now they are making diapers from T-shirts . They cut them just under the armpits and use the bottom section, although I haven't seen a finished product. These are sent to places where mothers are unable to buy disposable diapers.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:35 AM

My sister turned to her sewing machine to make extra money and to save her sanity when she became 24/7 caregiver to her husband. This was in a town of about 350 people. She would sew or repair anything for anyone. And because she could not 'get out' for social contact, she opened her home to anyone who wanted to learn to sew or quilt. Over the years the group dynamics have changed considerably, with more young and newer residents mixing with the seniors and original members, but they still meet at her home once a week except for summer. They still make one communal quilt a year that is donated for raffle with the proceeds going to a local charity or Home. Last year they organized working bees and made over 200 dresses for little girls in Africa--donating their own fabric. This year they are making toques and hats for children in First Nation reserve schools in Northern Saskatchewan. These will be combined with purchased mitts and gloves as well as any donated coats.

I have always said that my sister should be Mayor of her small town because over the last decade+, she has done more to bring the people of her community together and to further harmony, than any other person I know.

OK off my soap box, but just wanted to say--you could do something similar, even if it is only one or two other people to start. If we all said "It's a good idea but I can't do it." nothing would ever be started or changed.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:56 AM

Having lived in large and small cities, the one thing I've noticed is that sometimes smaller, less populated areas can have large turnouts for their activities because that's what there is to do this week. In larger cities, there are so many things to choose from that often it's hard to get people to one activity month after month. If you have even a couple quilting/sewing/needlework friends, see if they would like to get together once a month and sew and go from there.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:29 AM

The interesting phrase in your first paragraph is, "does not have people you know". Strangers are strangers until they are friends.
Women are social creatures! Be bold! Put your great ideas out there and see what happens. Your group doesn't have to be just for sewing. It can be for any type of needlework, knitting, crochet, etc.
I wish you luck and think you will be pleasantly surprised!
Old 11-11-2016, 06:44 AM

I joined a knitting group at my local library about 4 years ago. Sometimes I would take quilts to finish the binding by hand. Some of the members expressed an interest in learning to quilt so we asked the library if we could have a room one evening a month. We meet for a few months and due to cuts were unable to use the library but now we meet at our homes everyone takes a turn but they don't have to. We just tell people about it and if they want to join they are welcome. So just try asking people to join you I think you will be surprised by the positive responses. Good luck.