Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need your help with a quilt idea for horse themed quilt >

Need your help with a quilt idea for horse themed quilt

Need your help with a quilt idea for horse themed quilt

Old 09-16-2010, 06:14 PM

Ok I know this is asked alot and the the answers are the DP9 or dp4 (these are great but I want a little more to it). Here is my story I am not asking for anything but ideas. I am donating a quilt to a nonprofit for a little girl who lost her dad last year to a gunman. She was dealing with her grief by taking care of her horse which became ill and passed away a few months ago. Sorry this does get happier. She has been having a hard time with both deaths and it is almost the one year anniversary so The nonprofit is going to sponser her for a week retreat to a horse camp w/ her mom and they found another nonprofit that takes in horses that have been abandoned and rehabilitate them. The nonprofit will adopt the horse for her and they will keep the horse with them for 1 year to make sure this is a perfect match and will give it to her after the year. This little girl needs a quilt I would love ot have it for her when she goes to the retreat (how fun to have it ready on the bed!) I have 3 yards of horse/western fabric and will throw in some coordinates I just need an idea for the quilt I would like something that needs to fussycut some large prints and blocks for the others. Any and all ideas are appreciated
Old 09-16-2010, 07:05 PM

BQ is a great pattern for large fussy cuts.
Or how about several large fussy cuts, the finished sides divisible by 3 inches (so the fussy cuts are 12 x 12 or 9 X12 or 9x 9 or 15 x 3) ( ok 15 x 3 is just silly) and then fill in around the fussy cuts with nine patches or four patches or just 3 inch squares, whatever it takes to make each "block" 9x9. Fill in around a larger fussy cut to make it fit.
Another thought is the Warm Wishes pattern.
Fussy cut circles, make 9 inch blocks and nine inch sawtooth star blocks in complementary colors. Alternate.
Fence Rail blocks arranged diagonally with every other diagonal row the fussy cut material.
An I-Spy type quilt is good for fussy cuts.
Irish Chain works good with large prints for the big blocks.
:?
I hate cutting into my big prints but once I do and I put them into a quilt, I am always so glad I did it!
Old 09-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Power Poster

That is just heartbreaking. Whatever you choose will be perfect and cherished by this little girl. I know when I lost my father at age 13 I would have cherished something to cuddle with. It was a very difficult time for me.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Power Poster

What a sad story - I'm glad she's getting some help from various sources - including you.

You could leave the horse fabric intact for the backing -
Old 09-16-2010, 07:19 PM

I'm thinking Warm Wishes!
Old 09-16-2010, 11:56 PM

Will keep her and you while you make this quilt in my prayers.
Heather.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:37 AM

After scanning through a couple more topics, I came across this: www.reddawn.net/quilt/wells It is a pretty interesting looking quilt that would showcase any theme fabric by alternating blocks. I believe when you search this, it comes up as Dawn's pages and if you click on it, it gives you a mini tutorial...wish you luck with such a worthy and precious project.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:28 AM

I just completed a quilt that I did large focus fabric on. I adapted a pattern in the NinePatch Pizazz book. It's a 12 x 9 piece of focus, with 6 x 6 pieces of the same fabric, some of these focus pieces are horizontal and some are vertical. Alternated with 9 patches. Then did the big stitch on it, it's a gift for DS for Christmas. It turned out pretty cute. I'll post a picture later.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:33 PM

Thank you all for such wonderful ideas I knew you could help!!! I am really excited to get working on it and will post the end product!!
Old 09-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

Attic (barn) windows, and I used the easy method with no "Y" seams.