Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Kit or Yardage? >

Quilt Kit or Yardage?

Quilt Kit or Yardage?

Old 02-15-2010, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Grandma Cindy
I make up my own kits - pattern, fabrics and then zip lock them so I have it all together. I am almost done organizing the sewing room and I would hate to guess how many of those zip lock bags I have. Diffidently time to get busy and stop buying...
When I buy yardage, which is most of the time. I do that, too. The owner of my lqs suggested it and it is so worth doing. I always told myself that I would remember the combos that I bought, but with digging, they don't always stay together and my memory isn't what it used to be. Now I put them in the bag and put the pattern with it. If I don't have the pattern I put on the bag what I intended it for.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Honey
Originally Posted by Grandma Cindy
I make up my own kits - pattern, fabrics and then zip lock them so I have it all together. I am almost done organizing the sewing room and I would hate to guess how many of those zip lock bags I have. Diffidently time to get busy and stop buying...
When I buy yardage, which is most of the time. I do that, too. The owner of my lqs suggested it and it is so worth doing. I always told myself that I would remember the combos that I bought, but with digging, they don't always stay together and my memory isn't what it used to be. Now I put them in the bag and put the pattern with it. If I don't have the pattern I put on the bag what I intended it for.
This is a great idea--then after reserving a little extra for mistakes you can use the remaining fabric to work on scrappy's or table runners etc. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2010, 02:41 PM

I purchase both yardage and kits. The only problem I find with kits is if I want to make it larger when I'm done you don't have any matching fabric to "play" with.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
I bought one quilt kit, it was short on fabric so I had to go buy yardage. . . .
I have only bought two kits and had this happen to me both times. The first time the fabrics were plaid and cut off grain. I was really short on that one. The second one was a Baby Quilt that I am now working on. It called for a 0.25 yd of WOF for 4 - 2 inch strips for the inner borders and I received a fat quarter which ,meant that the border would have multiple pieces which I did not want. Both of these came from top notch LQSs.

I would totally disassemble a kit before I bought another one. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:12 PM

I do not use kits. I worry that I will make a mistake cutting the fabric and not be able to find anything that matches to finish it.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:23 PM

I've only purchased two kits and each came with a pattern and the first one was fine. The second one is still in the closet because I can't find or remember what pattern is suppose to go with it. Guess I'll figure out something to do with it. :)
Old 03-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Power Poster

I have always bought by the yard. I like the freedom of choosing my own colors.