Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilt Kit or Yardage?

Just wondering if you prefer to buy a quilt kit with all the fabrics you need for a project or do you prefer to just buy fabric by the yard? It seems like I'm always drawn to the kits at quilt shows but I think it might be a mental thing....the "I just have to have this" syndrome! :lol:

What do you think?

Sometimes one, sometimes the other. If I see a fabric I love, I get it. Sometimes I let the "experts" put together the fabric for a kit. It can be easier than all the running around trying to find something similar to what they used.

I have bought a few smallest kits, but have not made them yet. I usually buy yardage and then figure out what to make.

Blog Entries
    I've never bought a kit, just yardage.

I've bought a few small kits (Patchabilities, for example). I don't want my quilt to be one of many, I want to be able to add my own unique fabric choices. Came awfully close a few months ago, as I loved the quilt - but in the end couldn't do it. In reality, chances are that nobody who sees anything I do will see another made from a kit, but I just can't get past the thinking that there are others just like it.

I just bought my first kit, but mostly I just use yardage.

I like to just buy fabric!!!
    Though there has been a time or two where I have won or been given a kit and it was really nice to not have to think about it and just be able to sew it all together.

Depends on the quilt. If I really like it, I may buy a quilt but usually, I just buy the pattern and then look in my stash to begin my color selection. I try to use at least one piece of my stash in each quilt. When I chose one, I have to go to my LQS for the rest and usually bring home more than I went for and add to my stash. Its a never ending circle........but oh well.

I've never purchased a kit either. I really like to pick out my own fabrics, that's part of the fun... Of course, I usually make one or two choices that I end up wanting to replace, so that's just more for my stash. tee hee

I prefer yardage because I wash all my fabric before I use it and with kits you can not always do that. Marge

I like yardage because I want it to be my interpretation not their quilt. The kits do have an advantage, no pondering or worrying or running out of.. its all there.

I have lots of yardage here and will probably be buying more. :-D I just started buying kits and I love them.

I have never bought a quilt kit---I just buy patterns or books and yardage.

THe only kit per say that I have purchased is a white on white pre stenciled kit. It included a premarked top and the backing and binding. I rarely even buy patterns. I like to interrurpt other people's ideas in my own colors and combinations.

I've only bought and made one table runner from a kit. It was on sale for about $9.00 on Connecting Threads website and I needed to add $5-6 to my order to get free shipping. It was really nice. Their fabric is nice to work with and they give you plenty of fabric-definitely can wash it before using. Each piece was a little bigger than a FQ-I actually had fabric left over.

I bought one quilt kit, it was short on fabric so I had to go buy yardage. I prefer to chose my own fabrics and like to prewash all my fabric and can't do that with a kit. I also bought a kit for a wallhanging, it was a group thing, 4 of us bought the same one for our quilt weekend.

Blog Entries
    I buy yardage, too. I really enjoy the challenge of picking my own fabric for my projects; plus it's one of a kind.

I have always bought by the yard. When I started quilting, I was making mostly squares and got into the habit for quite some time.

I have never bought a kit, would love to but they are very expensive! maybe sometime soon. Sometimes I really love the patterns but not the fabric. I also worry about messing up

I haven't bought any kits as I'm afraid I'd miss-cut then what would I do? I would always rather have too much fabric than goof - which I'm prone to achieve.

I've done both... one problem w/prepackaged kits... no room for error! So now I like buy'n yardage w/just a little bit more than pattern calls for... I ALWAYS make mistakes lol

farscapegal
    I prefer picking out my own fabric. To me that is the fun part of quilting.

Sybil

Lyn
    I bought a kit online, on sale. Not only did they short me the fabric (which they tried to find more of) but they substituted without telling me. They said it was legal if the kit was on sale. There was nothing in the write up that said they would substitute. I figure if you buy a kit make sure it is a reputable place that you use a lot.

I've done both. In fact I have a kit that I washed the fannel fabric and now I can't find the pattern. Not sure what I'll do with it now.

I've bought one kit...for my inlaws Christmas present. I liked the way it looked and didn't want to chance my choices not looking as good. I had plenty of fabric left over...could almost make another one in fact.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast