Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt label advice... >

Quilt label advice...

Quilt label advice...

Old 02-14-2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma Cindy
Originally Posted by dojo36
here's the way i do my labels. i machine emb on it, fold it, sew raw edges on with binding from the front then hand stitch the back of binding over the label.
Do you sew down the folded edge?

no i don't sew down the folded edge. i leave it as a little pocket.
donna
Old 02-18-2010, 12:16 PM

Really cute quilt. I have tried the pigma pens but find them too scratchy and don't give a nice finished look. You might want to try the Millennium Collection available either at JoAnns or Michaels. They are pigment ink, acid free, waterproof and non-bleeding. You can usually buy just 1 pen, but I got a set of 8 colors for about $13 and they have a much smoother writing tip.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:26 PM

I cheat and print my labels on photo fabric that goes through my color printer. It is pricey, but I usually do several labels at the same time (I'm behind in labeling quilts).
Old 02-05-2011, 05:49 PM

I code in letters on my machine that "writes" & stitch them on a piece of fabric - then attach to one corner of the backing by hand - it is best to do this before quilting, probably and machine stitch but I haven't - next time I will.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:36 PM

I've always used either a Micron pen by Pigma or Textile Marker by ZIG. A Sharpie is not permanent on fabric.
Do you have any embroidery stitches on your sewing machine? If so, that would be another option or hand embroidery.
I always sew a label on the back with my name, City, State, date finished, who/what it was made for and it's title. Yes, I do give every quilt a title.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:12 PM

I sometimes use the fabric labels that come in a panel and do the writing with a Pigma pen. Other times I use a picture of the recipient and the printer fabric. I have occasionally used the Pigma pens and made vines and flowers around the edges of the label and did the writing in the center. You can also use hand embroidery or machine embroidery. Crayons are another possibility. Or piece them like a small quilt block. There are lots of possibilities.