Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: quilt question

Hi everyone,

I want to make a quilt for my bed. I live in Utah and the summers can be pretty warm. I like to be able to pull a quilt up around me, but I don't want it to be too hot. My husband can wake up in the middle of the night, with just sheets over him and be sweating like crazy. I guess what I want is a lightweight summer quilt, so what kind of batting would you use.

Thanks

My mother is in Puerto Rico and she uses no batting at all. She makes her top,lays the backing, and only holds the two layers together sewing straight lines about 1/8 inch from the seam lines, on the side where the fabric was folded to. This way she is at least sewing on 4 layers and it holds well. Her quilts are great to use in the summer mornings, when is not hot yet.

Blog Entries
    Nothing in the middle or a thin lite weight polyester batting ?

What about a flannel sheet in the middle? It would at least give it some stability.

I made my SIL a quilt. It's hot here in the summer, so she had me make it with no batting and just a piece of thicker soft white fabric that we got from my MIL. I'm not sure what kind it was, but it's about the thickness of flannel.

Mom used a thin sheet blanket or a piece of muslin in as batting in our summer quilts, but you could use just the top and a backing. It would wash easily and not be too hot.

You know I never thought of making a thinner summer quilt. Using muslin is a neat idea. I learn something from yall practically everyday. Thanks

I would use 100% cotton. Whatever type that you decide on, even a 100% cotton sheet would work. I wouldn't get a real high thread count though, they tend to be much thicker and heavier. Actually look for your lower end sheets. Cotton will breath so it won't make it so warm.

Quote Originally Posted by TeresaT
    You know I never thought of making a thinner summer quilt. Using muslin is a neat idea. I learn something from yall practically everyday. Thanks
    Just make sure you wash it first, muslin has a tendency to shrink pretty badly. You can buy it in the really wide widths so it works well. If you don't think it will be stable enough use a layer for batting and something else or a second layer for backing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
    What about a flannel sheet in the middle? It would at least give it some stability.

Ditto.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast