Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt repair question

A friend has asked me to repair a quilt. She made it at least 10 to 15years ago. Some of the seams are starting to come apart. She just tacked it when she did it. So she wants me to take it apart repair the top and quilt it. My concern is holes where the quilted was tacked/tied. I mean it's been like this for awhile. So I'm thinking there might be holes where it's tacked. Has anyone did this? Did the quilt have holes where it was tacked when taken apart?

Blog Entries
    If there are holes when the tacks are taken out, you can reinforce from the back with a lightweight fusible and/or applique something on top. It would make for extra work, of course.

Just wondering. Does she have any extra fabric left from when she made the quilt top? That could help with repairs, although the fabric might need to be faded to match the quilt. (Exposure to sunlight fades most fabric quickly.)

I wouldn't applique it. She obviously loves this quilt the way it is or she wouldn't be wanting it repaired. Use the fusible to reinforce any holes or frayed bits. The quilting will also hold it together more than the original tacking did.