Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Retreat >

Quilt Retreat

Quilt Retreat

Old 07-20-2014, 01:35 PM

Default Quilt Retreat

A group from the local quilt guild and a few other quilters are going on a quilt retreat in September. Some of us have gone on one before but several haven't ever been on one. We want to do some fun things together before the retreat to build up anticipation and excitement.

We are talking about making new bags to carry our cutting mats, rulers, etc in along with ironing pads and a cozy for the small irons. What other things do you think we could do to make it more fun and interesting while we wait for the calendar to turn?

Thank you

One of the Sassy Scrappers
Old 07-20-2014, 01:44 PM

How about having a get together before the retreat just for cutting so your projects will be cut and ready to sew when you get to the retreat. I love the idea of making the bag to hold all the quilting tools. You could also each make your own pillow case to take to the retreat to use on the beds. At the retreats I have been on with friends, we decide before hand that one of the gals will teach a new technique. She gives us a list of materials needed and we purchase them before the retreat. It's fun to see what everyone bought when the retreat takes place.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:39 PM

The retreat was amazing. I highly recommend quilters get together someplace to stitch, laugh, talk, laugh, and eat. We had a great time and learned so much from others. There were around 30 attending and that included about 15 from our group and the rest became our new quilting buddies. Everyone brings something new to the group. The retreat was about a 2 1/2 hour drive and it is a beautiful facility. The food is nothing short of gourmet. The sleeping quarters were very comfortable and each had a private bath. The downside was most all of us didn't finish our first project much less the accompanying projects we had taken. Again, if you get a chance go on a retreat. You will have a great time.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:52 AM
Power Poster

Glad you had fun at your retreat. It's so much fun to kick back relax and forget about the everyday stuff. making new friend and sharing new ideas is the best.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:18 AM

At our guild retreat we usually do a project (very quick and easy like a simple tote bag) at the retreat or a demo from one of the attendees. We have also done a block and then we did a point system throughout the weekend. The person with the most points won all the blocks. Last year the theme was balloons because the retreat location we often see the hot air balloons go by if you are up early enough in the morning.

Last year we also did a pajama party after dinner.
Also play Left Right Center with everyone brings 3 FQs. The winner gets them all.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

There is a free pattern on-line to make a cute thread catcher. There was even a post on QB:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...r-t150306.html
Old 09-15-2014, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
There is a free pattern on-line to make a cute thread catcher. There was even a post on QB:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...r-t150306.html

Well, that sure is cute!!! Thanks for the link!!

Dina
Old 09-15-2014, 10:05 AM

I haven't done our guild's overnight retreats but have attended a couple of the Sew-Ins. We gather for the day and spend it quilting (and chatting!). Was a lot of fun.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

My guild rents a church summer camp for kids during the off season in the spring and fall for a week long retreat. The community room with kitchen is perfect for sewing and the cabins with heat and air are ample for sleeping and showering. It's close enough many can go home and check on pets and DHs and come right back.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:05 PM

I attended a retreat once with my internet quilt group Kathykwilts , Quilt Chat, in Hale MI. I was able to meet several members, it was so much fun sewing in P.J.'s. It was at a church camp and meals were provided I completed 32 of 36 blocks needed for a king size quilt, yes I did finish that quilt. I agree, if one is able to attend a sewing retreat do so.....glad you had a good time......calla

Last edited by calla; 09-15-2014 at 01:11 PM.