Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Retreat >

Quilt Retreat

Quilt Retreat

Old 04-27-2010, 11:37 AM

I am in charge of planning our guild's August quilt retreat. I have the location secured and have decided to go with a western theme. The ladies like to come to these retreats and work on their own projects, so we don't have any special classes planned or scheduled. They like to have their day broken up, however, with some fun activities. Last year the retreat was in the fall and they did "quilt-squito" where everyone was given a sheet of stickers and you had to "bite" others at the retreat with a mosquito "bite" without them knowing. The person with the most/least amount of stickers at a given point was the "winner".

This is a three day event, so I'm looking for ideas. I would like to incorporate bandanas somehow, in addition to looking for other ideas for things to do during the retreat. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:01 PM

I was just at retreat and we played strip poker. We didn't use cards but three special dice. Each player started with three strips of fabric 6 x 22. You roll the dice and either keep your strips, pass them right, left or they go in the pot. The last person with a strip wins the pot in the middle. I can go into more detail if you would like me to. We made it even more fun last and made some rules to go along with the pot. The person who "wins" has one year to complete a project with the pot and bring it back to retreat the following year. Some call it winning others call it losing. It is so fun to watch people be so happy when they get to send their strips to the middle :)
Old 04-27-2010, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Missi
I was just at retreat and we played strip poker. We didn't use cards but three special dice. Each player started with three strips of fabric 6 x 22. You roll the dice and either keep your strips, pass them right, left or they go in the pot. The last person with a strip wins the pot in the middle. I can go into more detail if you would like me to. We made it even more fun last and made some rules to go along with the pot. The person who "wins" has one year to complete a project with the pot and bring it back to retreat the following year. Some call it winning others call it losing. It is so fun to watch people be so happy when they get to send their strips to the middle :)
That sounds like loads of fun!

:D :thumbup: :-D
Old 04-27-2010, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

Give everyone 5 clothespins, if you get caught saying the word "quilt" (or several words like quilt, piece, sew, thread,) you have to give up one...the person with the last one wins...
Old 04-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Pam

I, too am on the August retreat committee, but we do not play games. Ours is very structured with classes, different instructors coming for out of state and local teachers helping, too. It will be August 6 & 7 in Mt Carmel, Illinois, so come on down!!! It will be good.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:56 PM
Banned

The game is called "Right, Left, Center' and you can get it at most toy stores. I got mine at Bed Bath & Beyond.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Banned

Here is a good site for quilt games.

http://www.quiltguilds.com/games.htm
Old 04-27-2010, 06:57 PM

Hope you have fun