Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Show Entry Advise >

Quilt Show Entry Advise

Quilt Show Entry Advise

Old 07-06-2014, 02:05 PM

I don't know the answer to your question, but your quilt is just beautiful!!! It certainly looks like a winner to me.

(Well, I do know that you need to read the different categories in the quilt show you are entering. For example, our guild really changed the categories this year. Every quilter who enters needs to read them carefully so they know which is the best category to enter. I, personally, am delighted because my quilts which are machined by me on my domestic machine won't be competing with quilts that are quilted by long arm professionals.)

Dina
Old 07-06-2014, 06:05 PM

Ditto what Dunster said ... it's more about perfecting a technique than it is about which technique was chosen. But I would stick to a single technique throughout the whole quilt.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:13 PM

Look at the categories and look at last years winners. Not that you want to do the same, the judges may be different, but u will see what a winner looks like in each category.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:20 PM

What a lovely quilt. Looks happy.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:30 PM

I think it depends on the show. If you are entering a national show, like the one in Houston, the rules are more stringent. Our local guild show is judged but has more options for the general quilter. We are competing against each other and not against national prize-winning quilters. Also, like the others said, look closely at the categories and make sure you are in the right one.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I agree that the show's rules and categories should be considered. Well done hand applique does hold up to machine washing. I think that in general the judges look for a technique that is well done, rather than for a specific technique. However, if you hand stitched the dresden plates to the top, it might seem a little out of place to machine stitch the applique. It looks like you're going to have a beautiful quilt.
At least 10 years ago when I was in completion, judges do look at the quality of work and usually hand applique will win the big awards. I was lucky with my quilt. There are probably separation between machine quilting and hand quilting in categories then there are sub categories for the size of the quilt. I would suggest that you do the same technique that you did in making your Dresden plates. I would also advise you to hand sew the binding to the back. That just looks much neater. Good Luck.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:50 AM

If your goal is to win a prize, then I would find out who is judging the show, research how they have judged differnt quilt techniques in the past and make your quilt to suit them. ( I hope you can tell I'm kidding!!) Make the quilt you like to the best of your ability, enter it and learn from the experience. I have seen lots and lots of shows, and have entered several. Some shows, I can tell why the winners were chosen - others, I have no idea why the judge passed over one quilt for another. Don't worry too much about entering. If we all only entered to win a prize, there would be precious few quilts in a show for us to admire.