Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Show Entry Advise >

Quilt Show Entry Advise

Quilt Show Entry Advise

Old 07-06-2014, 01:12 PM

Default Quilt Show Entry Advise

I have been quilting for about 10 years. I have become confident in my skills and would like to enter my dresden plate quilt in an upcoming quilt show. I used 30's fabric for the quilt.

I have decided to incorporate various appliqued flowers on a 6-1/2" white border. I have never done applique before and decided to use fusible web in sewing my leaves, stems and flowers. I then turned them right side out and used invisible thread and used an appliqué stitch to stitch them to the white border.

Now I am wondering if I should be hand stitching them to the border. What will I be judged on and would this quilt be eligible for any type of ribbon doing the technique I am using. I think needle turn applique is beautiful on a wall type quilt. Is this technique used on a quilt that will be washed and used?

I really need some advise. Should I continue the technique I am presently using or start over by hand stitching the flowers to my border?

Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Last edited by KathyC9511; 07-06-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:15 PM

I wouldn't know what they judge an entry on, but your quilt is lovely. Good luck. Mary
Old 07-06-2014, 01:19 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Your applique looks fine to me. It's a very sweet quilt that will appeal to many show attendees.
Is the show you wish to enter a judged show? Not all are, you know. And some that are, have categories that are NOT judged. You may be worried for no reason.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Your applique looks fine to me. It's a very sweet quilt that will appeal to many show attendees.
Is the show you wish to enter a judged show? Not all are, you know. And some that are, have categories that are NOT judged. You may be worried for no reason.
Yes I will be entering in a show where the quilts are judged. I plan on doing all of the quilting on my Handi Quilter Sweet 16.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:34 PM

I think you need to look at the categories for entries and the requirements for each category. This to me looks likes it might fit into a category I have seen called "mixed techniques". If your question is "Can machine applique ever win over hand applique?", I don't know the answer to that. Perhaps some of the people on the board who judge at shows can comment.

It is a beautiful quilt!
Old 07-06-2014, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

Maybe have the applique technique be consistent with the Dresden plates and the border?

I really don't know the answer to your question.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

You need to look at the categories. Well done hand appliqué usually trumps well done machine appliqué. You have made a good decision to use pieced and appliqué because it can go into the mixed category. We usually have fewer mixed technique than either all pieced or all appliqué quilts in our fair quilts that are judged.
They also may have separate categories for hand and machine pieced. Some even have different spots for machine quilted on domestic machines and long arms. Pretty quilt top by the way.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

I agree that the show's rules and categories should be considered. Well done hand applique does hold up to machine washing. I think that in general the judges look for a technique that is well done, rather than for a specific technique. However, if you hand stitched the dresden plates to the top, it might seem a little out of place to machine stitch the applique. It looks like you're going to have a beautiful quilt.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:00 PM

I don't know the answer to your question since it will likely be determined by the show categories/rules, but I want to say your Dresden Quilt is lovely. I especially like the yellow cornerstones. You did a great job.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:03 PM

Beautiful quilt, but haven't a clue about the judging part. Good luck!