Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Show Judge Contract >

Quilt Show Judge Contract

Quilt Show Judge Contract

Old 08-05-2015, 11:52 AM

Default Quilt Show Judge Contract

Does anyone have a sample contract for a judge for a quilt show?

I'm the chairperson for our 2016 quilt show and have just hired the judge. I'm trying to write a contract and need help. I searched the Internet and didn't find a sample. I'm hoping someone on the board might have a one I could use.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

http://www.nqaquilts.org/shop/produc...d-quilt-shows/

i dont know if this would help you. It says it has sample contracts.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

Interesting question. Didn't know that judges for quilt shows had contracts. Is there someone who could help you such as a previous chairperson??
Old 08-05-2015, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

It would depend on how big a show is being judged and the money involved. A small show with very little money to pay a judge may not need a contract. I think more important is what credentials does the judge have. In Canada you must go to classes, apprentice and be certified.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:43 PM
Power Poster

I don't quite understand... If you've already hired the judge what's the contract to accomplish? Seems like if you required a contract that would be gone over, explained, signed at time of hire. What is it you are needing to ( contract)? I would expect the judge to have their own contract. Generally when you hire a judge, an appraiser or a class/workshop instructor they have a contract for ( you) stating what they expect/require for their services. This seems a little backwards.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:05 PM

Maybe I should have called it an Agreement instead of a Contract. Something that puts in writing what we agreed to (fees, lodging, use of critique forms, etc), includes the dates and location of the show, includes the name and contact information of each party, and signed by both parties. Just something in writing so that there is agreement and understanding on both sides. Something in writing instead of relying on the memory of each.

I can create such a document. I was just hoping someone would have a sample.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I don't quite understand... If you've already hired the judge what's the contract to accomplish? Seems like if you required a contract that would be gone over, explained, signed at time of hire. What is it you are needing to ( contract)? I would expect the judge to have their own contract. Generally when you hire a judge, an appraiser or a class/workshop instructor they have a contract for ( you) stating what they expect/require for their services. This seems a little backwards.
We agreed to everything over the phone. Now I'm just trying to follow it up with a written document that we can both sign. Since I am doing the hiring for the guild and she will be performing the service for us, I want it to be our contract with her, not her contract with us. I realize the end result is the same, but that was my thinking.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Interesting question. Didn't know that judges for quilt shows had contracts. Is there someone who could help you such as a previous chairperson??
Don't you (not you personally, but people in general) have a contract or something in writing that clearly states what was agreed to? The document we had for the last quilt show judge was produced by the judge and called a Confirmation of Services. It was sorely inadequate and resulted in problems. I want a contract of sorts so there can be no confusion 14 months from now.

I can create one. I was just hoping for a sample to follow to make it easier for me.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
http://www.nqaquilts.org/shop/produc...d-quilt-shows/

i dont know if this would help you. It says it has sample contracts.
Thanks. I saw this earlier and was hoping to not have to buy anything. I think for $8 it will help so I think I'll just go ahead and order it. Thanks for looking it up for me.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:36 PM
Power Poster

You are welcome. I wonder if the library would have a copy?