Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Show Scrap Bags >

Quilt Show Scrap Bags

Quilt Show Scrap Bags

Old 06-13-2014, 08:37 PM

I no longer belong to a guild because of the back biting, lying and stealing from the treasury; couldn't handle it anymore; hostel takeover from a younger set, I was one of the last of the older set they get rid of..
Old 06-16-2014, 12:22 PM

We did this last year at our quilt show & it was a HUGE success!!! Plan on doing it again this year!
Old 06-16-2014, 01:26 PM

Darn it! I'm going to dream of ways to squish scraps to fill zip lock bags.

I do know I get best advantage at "bag sales" if I roll clothing into tight bedroll type rolls and stand on end for first layer, then more for second layer.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:04 PM

I just came back from a 3 day quilt-in with my friend sue, and brought 13 qt size ziplock bags of scraps and fq's home, woohoo! she's happy to lose them and i'm happy to gain them! now, if I can just smuggle some of my scraps into hers without her knowing....... call in the stealth-quilter! lol
Old 06-19-2014, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Darn it! I'm going to dream of ways to squish scraps to fill zip lock bags.

I do know I get best advantage at "bag sales" if I roll clothing into tight bedroll type rolls and stand on end for first layer, then more for second layer.
I discovered rolling the fabric allowed me to squish more in the bag too.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaFreak View Post
Our local guild has a "free-cycle" table set up at the beginning of our meetings. I think most of my scraps came from there! I love when I find a few finished blocks. I turn them into potholders that I can practice free-motion quilting on, and have something to give as gifts as well.

Donna
Great idea!
Old 08-14-2014, 02:14 PM

I have ordered scrap bags from several quilt shops--they are not always available--and been very happy with them. My own scraps are too boring. I've probably been looking at them too long!! This is just another way to raise money for the guilds and fun for the buyer.
Sue
Old 08-14-2014, 02:29 PM

I love it when shows have this set up for scraps. It's fun to find something you like and can use.

One of my quilting friends organized her stash and had four big bins of scraps and 3 trash bags of scraps. We went to her house for a group sew and she invited us to take what we want. I came home with a shopping bag full of kids fabric because I want to make some quilts for Project Linus. We didn't even make a dent in what she had so she said we can take more next time we quilt in September.

Last edited by Luv Quilts and Cats; 08-14-2014 at 02:36 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 08-14-2014, 03:20 PM

I saw this at a quilt shop in OR, it was smaller ziplocks and I think the price was higher but it was still fun! I've been working (so, so slowly) on a hexi quilt so it was a great way to get little bits and pieces of a variety of fabrics for that.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by abdconsultant View Post
I purchased a $4.95 scrap bag from msqc and was very disappointed. Told them, and oh we'll.
I have bought several of these. I was pleased with the scraps. I have bought other scrap bags from shops and some are great and some are skimpy. For the low price it's worth the gamble. It even out as some scrap bags are full of large pieces.