Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt stencil >

Quilt stencil

Quilt stencil

Old 04-22-2014, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

I collected my large stash of quilting stencils from either quilt shops or from quilt shows. I also use my scanner. I trace the stencil onto paper then I can either enlarge the stencil or shrink it to the right size using my scanner. Then using lightweight tracing paper, trace the design. You can also layer many squares of tracing paper and stitch in the design using your sewing machine without thread. I then attach tracing paper with the design and stitch it onto the quilt. Once I carefully remove the paper, design is quilted with not a mark to remove.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:40 PM

I like Crayola washable markers the best, they wash out very easily, ball point frixion pens stretch the fabric, the chalk is a mess and if you have to move the quilt much the chalk shakes out. Google quilting stencils online and you will find lots of stencils to buy.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:00 PM

I use Press 'n Seal wrap for my stencil designs. Trace the design on Press 'n Seal, place the sticky side down (only one side is sticky) on your fabric and stitch on the lines. It will pull off the fabric when done.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:16 AM

Have you watched any of Leah Days 365 quilting videos? Before you invest in stencils, watch and try to do it on your own. Start out drawing simple designs on paper. It's all in the brain training. Make up some small quilt sandwiches, and start playing. Even write your name.

I find trying to follow someone else's lines much harder than doing my own thing.

Don't expect perfect results right away, and give yourself permission to practice and try designs out.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Terri D. View Post
I transfer the design onto water soluble stabilizer with an ultra fine point permanent marker, pin it to the quilt and quilt right through it. I love this method so much I blogged about it in January 2013.
I do the same as Terri D. Works great and it is a good confidence builder.