Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilters of short stature.... >

Quilters of short stature....

Quilters of short stature....

Old 06-11-2011, 03:10 AM

Would you please tell me what table or set up you use to keep your body ergonomically correct? My desk/sewing table is 28 in. tall and the machine is sunk into it to make a nice flat sewing surface. I have a great offfice chair with adjustable height, so I can either sit with my legs in the correct position and my shoulders pulled up uncomfortably, or I can sit with my shoulders correctly positioned, but my legs hanging uncomfortably. I think the correct height for me would be a sewing bed at around 26 in. Have any of you found a ergonomic solution to being a vertically challenged quilter? :?
Old 06-11-2011, 03:25 AM

They make a "saddle chair" that has no back on it. I sat on one for two hours at a show and thought it was pretty good. Cost runs from $110-175. Might be an idea to help.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:07 AM

A foot stool to rest your feet. Some tilt.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:38 AM

I will be watching this closely as I am short of stature too. I am still trying to figure out good heights for things in a sewing room. I also have MS and somedays I need things as different heights in my crafting area. I wish I could afford one of those motorized multi-height adjustable lift tables (like the Horn 5000/6000 table). Looks like it would fulfill all my needs. But sadly I don't see $3000 in my budget for one of these! Sure wish I knew how to make one that was adjustable just like these for a tiny fraction of that cost. Oh well, I'll continue to dream of my perfect set up.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:50 AM

Being not quite 4' 11", I have the same issues. I have an adjustable height task chair for sewing. To keep the correct position, I have a platform on the floor for my foot pedal and other foot so my feet don't fall asleep. For cutting and ironing, I have a Big Board on top of the wire drawer storage units. In order to reach that comfortably, a friend gave me a couple of her aerobic "steps" that she never used -- they're long and wide enough that I can move around comfortably, and high enough that my back and neck don't hurt after 10 minutes of ironing.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:52 AM

try using a foot rest if your legs hang uncomfortably when back/shoulders are in correct position
Old 06-11-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by magpie
A foot stool to rest your feet. Some tilt.
that was what I was going to suggest a nice foot stool. I had a piece of heavy cardboard tubeing under my desk and could roll it around to where ever I wanted it made just that bit of difference to my comfort.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:07 AM

I got a board long enough to rest my feet on and put my foot pedal on it. I used heavy staples and put the non slip shelf cover on it so the pedal wouldn't slide.
I think the board is a 2" thick by about 10" wide and about a foot long. It was something my huband had left from a project.
It really helped keep my legs comforable and my shoulders
correct.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:17 AM

my table measure 25 in with my machine on top. sit at you table with your arms at you waist and and that is were the height of your table should be. ihope this helps.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:16 AM

About 10 years ago I purchased a "serger table" that is 25" in height. Use it with a standard dining table chair. Perfect for my 5'1-1/2" (shrunk by osteo from 5'4".) Also purchased a Sew Steady table - my very favorite accessory. Altogether significantly less expensive that buying a name-brand sewing table and office chair.