Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Aids From Funny Sources >

Quilting Aids From Funny Sources

Quilting Aids From Funny Sources

Old 02-19-2015, 07:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DresiArnaz View Post
My name is just a stupid word joke. Dresden Plate was my first quilting project-I learned by watching an old man at a quilt show and I used to love "I Love Lucy" when I was younger.
Not stupid at all... I think it's really clever!
Old 02-19-2015, 09:43 PM

I use wooden chopsticks as point turners (and also tube turners) and always have a couple in my sewing box, which is a tackle box from fishing department--the kind with box on top to store supplies and then a door that drops on front with 3 clear plastic lure boxes on bottom that holds a lot of thread. Similar but not identical to this one: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...FVKFfgodta0ACQ

I've always had old metal tins (like Sucrets) to store straight pins and I have several different kinds (headless, quilter's, etc.). I have a fondness for containers of all kinds so I have parts and pieces stored in everything from cigar boxes to metal tins to wine boxes.

My Boston Terrier receives Beano to cut down on the gas with dinner , so I use old Beano containers with a flip lid to store used needles and bent pins for disposal.

The hardware store is a great source for tools. I use a drywall square to square up quilts and as a very long edge for the rotary cutter (use with numbers down to lay flat for cutting on table). It is long enough to square off entire width of 44"/45" fabric opened up. It's perfect to cut binding. I use a metal measuring tape for long things, also from hardware store.

I have a magnetic white board on the wall where notes are held by quite a few of these containers: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80102919/ I have two which have quilting curved safety pins for pin basting, binder clips which I use to hang quilts on curtains for photographing, twist ties, paper clips, thumb tacks, etc. They're great. When I pin baste, I just take a container down and use it and I always know where they are. I use blue painter's tape to tape the backing to the floor when I'm basting.

I always have a couple of end rolls of newsprint I get from the local newspaper. They're free and I've used them to make clothing patterns when I have alterations for someone done from a commercial pattern with tracing wheel. I've also used it to back machine applique for quilts. It tears off easily and then I can either compost it or recycle it. Did I mention it's free?
Old 02-19-2015, 10:26 PM

Forgot to mention about using gun oil-my husband's gun oil is in a long syringe type thing that can get to hard to reach places and the hole is tiny so easier to control
Old 02-20-2015, 12:36 AM

I love containers! Plastic boxes, old pill bottles, the list goes on. And my dad was one of those people that could see a second life in almost anything so I know where I get it. After my mom passed away and I was cleaning out his painting area (he did watercolor painting) I found these little plastic containers that are about 2 inches high with a snap on lid and I realized they were used to put 35 mm film in, I got them in high school when I took a photography class back in 1971. There were 3 of them and it was touching that he had kept them all those years so I brought them home with me in 2009. Today I came across them trying to organize all the rotary blades I have - new and used. And guess what - those used blades fit in those containers like they were made for each other. (I also found out I have 20 new 45 mm blades and 15 new 28 mm blades. Didn't count the used blades. Seems I keep buying them when I see a good sale - guess I need to pass on the next sale or two.) So it only goes to say, one should never throw anything away that may be of use 44 years from now. :-)

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 02-20-2015 at 12:39 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:13 AM

I cleaned out an empty parmesan cheese shaker and use it to hold old, rusted or bent pins, dull needles and used rotary cutter blades. I can just drop needles in the side with the holes, and the rotary cutter blades in the side used to pour. I've had this one for about 3 years, and it's going to take a while to fill, and don't have to worry about pins sticking out of a trash bag. I'll duct tape the top when I'm ready to throw it away. I also use the case the rotary blades come in to discard the used blades.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]510932[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 02-20-2015, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by MarLeClair View Post
I use Crystal Light tall container with lid to carry all my marking pens in my applique box. I use Altoid tins to store pins.
Crystal Light type containers are also great thread holders. If you use Aurifil thread four spools fit in one container. I also keep my all cotton thread and bobbins in these types of containers. I have a mixture of thread and want to keep the all cotton separate for when I make microwave things. It's easy to know the thread because it is labeled but the bobbins are not so easy so I keep it all together.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by BettyGee View Post
The thread about freezer paper made me think of this.

As a senior, and one whose body has run out of the warranty, I have medications that come in large plastic containers. The ones that are about four inches tall are wonderful for so many things in your quilting area. For example, I have a gazillion little rulers that I've collected over the last fifty or so years. They all fit nicely in these containers and can be seen easily and stored in a small area. The chubby shorter containers make great places to store small buttons. I have a machine that I use to test my blood and the strips that are used come in a four inch high plastic container with a tight fitting lid. So I take some decorated "duck" tape and wrap the container, then it is used to store needles. Not rocket science by any means, but instead of ending up in a land fill those plastic containers help me keep some semblance of order in my sewing room.
If you are flying and have some hand sewing you can put a bobbin in an empty floss container. Then you don't need scissors and the thread won't runaway. I was bingeing on yo-yos once and knocked out hundreds on a plane trip.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:23 AM

I use a straight sided pint jar to hold large cones of thread behind my machine, large coffee cup for pens, pencils, point turners, etc, large plastic trays for all kinds of stuff near my machine, empty Swiffer boxes for small projects, large pizza boxes for finished blocks, large cardboard apple boxes for storage, metal candy/cookie boxes for buttons and small items,
large baskets from Christmas fruit and food gifts for storage, etc. Don't throw anything away until it is looked over for other uses.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:18 AM

I use candy mint tins which I line with felt to carry mints to church with me. The tin doesn't make noise that way.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:26 AM

you women are so clever!!!!