Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting with a Bernina 1530 or Brother SE400 >

Quilting with a Bernina 1530 or Brother SE400

Quilting with a Bernina 1530 or Brother SE400

Old 01-06-2012, 07:21 AM

Default Quilting with a Bernina 1530 or Brother SE400

Hello, I am new to machine sewing and am interesting mostly in Quilting Art, free-motion quilting. I just got a new Brother SE400 for Christmas and I also now have my MIL's Bernina 1530. I know she took excellent care of it and was an avid dressmaker/seamstress. I am wondering how that machine would be for free-motion quilting? It has not been used in about 4 years but has been stored in its case in the house. I am wondering if I should even keep it since the computer boards aren't made anymore. Maybe I should sell it while there is still a market for it, but I know it is a "classic" machine and maybe I should just keep it as a spare or use it instead of the Brother? I'm guessing I need to have it cleaned before use since it has been idle. Thank you for your suggestions and experience with this machine!
Old 01-06-2012, 07:27 AM
kso

Do a sample on ea machine and see which one has the best stitch quality and is the easiest to use. I would keep the Bernina for a spare.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

I am not familiar with that Bernina but the feet for my Bernina are about $50 each. I don't know if all the feet are interchangeable with all machines but keep that in mind. I know the new 820 or 830 use different feet and bobbins? Check out the eBay listing of machines similar to yours to get an approx. value before selling. If it is in good working order, I would keep it for a backup machine.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:05 AM

I would use the Bernina!
Old 01-06-2012, 03:24 PM

I am not familiar with either machine, but to me the deal breaker would be if one has a needle up/down function. For FMQ, that is the most wonderful feature. Also, if you have the button start/stop, it can be useful. Some people hate it, but I find I can set the speed and start and stop sewing without the foot pedal. You have to get used to pushing the control to stop the machine, but your speed sure is consistent; another thing that makes for good FMQ stitching.

By the way - I have a Bernina 440 QE with the BSR and a Brother Innovia, and I use the Brother almost exclsively.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:48 PM

I am not familiar with that Bernina. I have a 10 year old Bernina Artista 200 and I love it for quilting. I am about 2/3 through quilting a 120" x 122" quilt on it. I have used SID so far; but will use FMQ for the borders. I never dreamed that I could quilt something so large on such a small machine. I did cut the batting in thirds; but the quilt was still big even at that. Needless to say, I love my Bernina! Think of all the money I've saved by doing the quilting myself.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisQuilter View Post
Hello, I am new to machine sewing and am interesting mostly in Quilting Art, free-motion quilting. I just got a new Brother SE400 for Christmas and I also now have my MIL's Bernina 1530. I know she took excellent care of it and was an avid dressmaker/seamstress. I am wondering how that machine would be for free-motion quilting? It has not been used in about 4 years but has been stored in its case in the house. I am wondering if I should even keep it since the computer boards aren't made anymore. Maybe I should sell it while there is still a market for it, but I know it is a "classic" machine and maybe I should just keep it as a spare or use it instead of the Brother? I'm guessing I need to have it cleaned before use since it has been idle. Thank you for your suggestions and experience with this machine!

Hi, I have a Bernina 1260 and I do a lot of free motion quilting and thread painting with it. It works beautiful! I just finished a quilt for a lady with dragonflies and butterflies, some I thread painted, and some I used my Bernina Artista 165 embroidery machine. The Bernina machines are real work horses and go forever. I don't know anything about the one you have, but I am sure the manuel will help on the embroidery/thread painting and such. I won't buy another brand of machine, Bernina is the way to go for a machine that will last for many years. I do a lot of quilt-as-you-go type quilts. That way is much easier to quilt rather than fighting a large quilt on the machine. I quilt the blocks then serge around each one, then zig-zag them together. The sashing between the blocks cover up the stitching where I put the blocks together. MaryB

Last edited by maryb44662; 01-06-2012 at 10:01 PM.