Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting big quilts with Bernina 350 PE or other small machines...HELP! >

Quilting big quilts with Bernina 350 PE or other small machines...HELP!

Quilting big quilts with Bernina 350 PE or other small machines...HELP!

Old 03-10-2013, 04:05 PM

Default Quilting big quilts with Bernina 350 PE or other small machines...HELP!

Hi ladies. I wanted to know what other people's experiences have been quilting with this machine (or other similar machines). I've only made about 3 quilts (all big-gish...about twin size) so I'm not a very experienced quilter. No matter what I do I feel like it is a tug of war btw me and the machine when I quilt, using a walking foot or free motion. I have tried using silicone paper over my machine which was nice while it lasted, ie. until my bobbin ran out and I tore the paper right off. I ordered the Sew Slip and I hope it makes some difference. But I look at tutorials of women with their hands placed on either side of their quilt and gently guide along quilting lovely patterns. Then there's me....picture one hand gripping (gripping until my knuckles are white!!) the quilt "log" on the right side and pushing and pulling with my left hand. There is no gentle guiding here. I try to keep the weight of the quilt off me and on the table but so far, quilting means war! Even if I'm near the edge of the quilt, it's not just when I'm in the center. Is it possible that these problems might really be solved with a machine that had 10" to the right of the needle? All thoughts, comments and suggestions are VERY welcome!! Thank you!

Last edited by littledentist; 03-10-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:32 PM

I'm a beginner too, but as I keep quilting (I'm on my second throw), I'm finding that I actually do better if I don't roll the quilt in the throat of the machine. My machine is pretty small and basic, not very strong (Janome 7318) so I don't think the feed dogs/walking foot can drag the weight of the log. I'm just puddling and scrunching, and moving it along anytime I notice there's no more slack in front of the machine, if that makes any sense? I also prop up the left side of the quilt and try to plan my stitching so the majority of the quilt is on the left side as much as possible (not possible in the center, etc).
Old 03-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

I find it is easier to puddle my quilt under the needle with the rest of the quilt puddled onto the table. I find rolling a quilt makes it too heavy and awkward. Machingers gloves really help with Fmqing! I have done a twin on my Bernina machine but I am getting ready to do a Queen size. I will do it in 2 sections and then join them.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:11 PM
Power Poster

In my opinion, it's imperative to have support to your left to hold the bulk of the quilt. If you don't have this, you always have some weight of the quilt interfering with motion. An ironing board lowered to the level of your cabinet, placed to your left, works pretty well. Or get an inexpensive table from Sam's Club to hold the quilt.

For the portion of the quilt under the machine arm, I found that loosely accordion pleating works *much* better than rolling the quilt or stuffing it any which way under the arm.

Another big help is to split your batting into 3 parts. You quilt the middle portion first, reattach batting to one side and quilt that, then reattach batting to other side and quilt that. It reduces the bulk under the machine arm and also reduces the weight of the quilt while you are working on it. There is a methodology for doing this, so definitely research it before trying.

There are other methods for quilting with less bulk too. You might want to get this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Machine-Quilti...dp/B000NNGZJE/

Edit: Also, are you working on a large flat surface? If not, that could be your biggest problem. Here is a link to Youtube videos that show how to make an inexpensive flat table for quilting (but you still need support to your left!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14govA4pIM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAS25v3ZTk0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0lk7UBQgZY

Last edited by Prism99; 03-10-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:19 PM

I have quilted quite a few larger quilts on my domestic machine. Several full size, half a dozen queens, and even a king. I never roll it into a log- it's just too unwieldy and heavy. I just sort of scrunch the parts I'm not working on, and leave about a square foot open around the needle. You have to have extra tables to support the weight of the quilt. Also, if your tables are against a wall, it helps, too, to keep the quilt from falling off the edge of the table.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:37 PM

Well, I have a huge table so the quilt is supported, but my machine sits on top of the table, it's not lowered into it which might make a difference. Unfortunately it's not an option now. I was also reading something that said that its possible that the foot when lowered into position might be applying a bit too much pressure on the quilt and someone recommended just taking the foot off. That did not work so I tried to keep the coils in the spring "contracted" with safety pins, which suprisingly did make a bit of a difference but it was mostly a band-aid solution.