Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting conference >

Quilting conference

Quilting conference

Old 10-28-2013, 05:47 PM

Default Quilting conference

I am not really a quilter, but my daughter just started and absolutely loves it! She made 2 baby quilts and now is working on a lap quilt for her husband's Christmas. We have been reading the Elm Creek Quilt book series and love them. What I was interested in was finding out if ya'll have been to quilt convention in Paducah KY. I want to surprise my daughter & send her, but wanted for find out how it works and what choices are there. It must be a big deal...all the hotel rooms in the area (that I have looked at anyway) are sold out. I am now looking for a camping spot for the RV. It will be Apr. 23-26. Is it worthwhile for her? Why activities do you recommend? I appreciate any input. Quilts are objects of rare beauty!
Old 10-28-2013, 05:50 PM

I haven't been to Paducah but several of my friends have -- they loved the experience. It is on my bucket list -- have been to Houston Quilt Festival 3 times, Denver quilt show once and just went to the show in Des Moines. A quilt show like these really inspires a person.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:30 PM
Power Poster

even if you can't get there during the conference/show, i went for several hours on my way through town. i had a fantastic time. the museum is awesome.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:45 PM

Don't know where you live, but maybe a smaller quilt show would not be so overwhelming. I have been to the Quilt show in Paducah many times and it is almost too much to take in. It takes several days to see it all and do all of the other events/venues in Paducah during Quilt Week. Yes, there will be camping places a little ways out of town.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:42 PM
Power Poster

I would recommend that she go to smaller local shows first. Paducah would likely be overwhelming for such a new quilter. It's somewhat of a mecca for experienced quilters, though.

Instead of Paducah, I would find some local quilting classes for your dd. Locate some good quilt shops in your area, then let her choose some classes (and maybe the fabric to go with them!).
Old 10-29-2013, 12:43 AM

Paducah is a BLAST! I would definitely recommend it. Yes, it's big, but it's all pretty contained into a couple of buildings, and there are tons of other quilting things to do within walking distance. They have a free bus system that will take you from place to place, including all the hotels, so you can park your car at the hotel and not worry about driving. I definitely recommend the quilt museum, too. It's right next door to the show, and the first time I visited I was in absolute awe of the gorgeous quilts there. Send her - she'll LOVE it!!!!!!!
Old 10-29-2013, 01:48 AM

Yes, yes, yes send her, she will love it. There are quilts and vendors all over town, it is "Quilt City USA" after all. You do need several days to see it all , but whatever you get to is the best. The museum is worth the trip if for nothing else than the stained glass windows. And don't forget Hancocks of Paducah is there!!!!
Old 10-29-2013, 02:35 AM

Paducah is AWESOME! Even my camo clad, bearded, tough man hubby LOVES going. We go every year. And it's about 5/6 hours one way. I say go for it! ♡♥♡

we take a 4 day weekend and it's perfect.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:44 AM
Banned

Check into hotels across the river in Illinois. Not far. Will she be going lone or will have someone with her.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:10 AM

They have a large variety of classes available. When it gets closer to the time, you should be able to download the pamphlet & look them all over. Piecing, applique, machine quilting, arty, etc. Never been to the Paducah show, but have been to the Grand Rapids Mi show. The quilt entries are amazing. There are gobs of vendors selling anything quilt related.