Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting design books >

Quilting design books

Quilting design books

Old 10-17-2011, 07:32 AM

I am looking for books on quilting. I have many on fabric, cutting and blocks. I can put a quilt top together just fine. Now I am interested in sewing better. I am having trouble finding books on ideas for actually quilting a quilt. I never know what to sew to enhance my quilt top. I have done the standard 1/4 inch around the blocks and strait lines etc. I would really like a book to help me choose and place continuous line quilting or feathers or something. I have some books with designs I can print, but never know where to place them or correct size. I love to hand quilt, but have not had any luck marking my quilt tops either. What is the best way to mark a quilt? thanks any info would be helpful.. Tina
Old 10-17-2011, 08:08 AM

Tina, I also hand quilt (sometimes). I use the same quilting stencils on quilts that I machine quilt. I guess I don't do FMQ (too anal) but more or less top-stitch over the designs. I use the same chalk or pen to trace the designs onto my quilt top that I used to hand quilt. I never did find a marker that I could mark a whole quilt; I just mark sections, sew, stop and mark the next section. Don't know if this answers your question, hope it helps. I don't think you need a different book for machine quilting unless you're looking for "continuous line quilting" (try
googling). I had no luck with this method.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

my favorite is Quilt Savvy http://www.amazon.com/Quilt-Savvy-Ga.../dp/1574329006
Here is Diane's website http://www.dianegaudynski.net/resume.htm
She uses a DSM to do her magic. Very impressive
Old 10-17-2011, 08:58 AM

I took a class once on "quilting the quilt" and the book we used as our textbook was Quilt as Desired by Charlene C. Frable. It covers both straight-line and free-motion quilting, and I found it very helpful. Also very helpful - it's a hardcover with a spiral binding, so it stays open at your machine for reference. I find that a very handy thing!
Old 10-17-2011, 12:08 PM

I found Hari Walner's Continuous Line
Quilting Designs to be very instructional
Old 10-17-2011, 06:29 PM

Wow!! thanks guys. I was looking at the Hari Continuous Line book today. I will have to check out the rest. Maybe Santa will be xtra good to me this year. I just bought a 'pounce' kit with the chalk and some stencils. I have been 'studying' quilts on line, but some are hard to see the quiltng. Most ino is on cutting and piecing. Thanks for all the answer, Tina
Old 10-17-2011, 06:50 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

I am at work but I think Sally Terry is one that a few people recommend.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:26 AM

I found a few books onebay, I have gotten two and waiting for the 3rd. Infinite Feathers and quilting motifs. ALOT of patterns the 3rd booking is on Marking Quilts. so I will continue to collect more. The ones you suggested are on my list. They came at a good time, we are expecting a snow storm today and tomorrow..Happy quilting all.