Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: quilting fabric

The boy is 15, but he still has his quilt from being a newborn. I was thinking of either frogs or dogs...he loves both and making a warm....he is always cold. Flannel type rag quilt, but when I started looking for fabric, there were lots, but very little in flannel. Also can I ask what kind of starch do you use?
    I will wash the fabric in hot water, and dry in the dryer. I had some cotton that I bought at a quilt store, and it must have shrunk 4".

I have never tried it, but I am sure it would be ok.

I mix.

I was in a quilt shop in Springfield, MO this summer and they were selling a kit that mixed.
    I think, using today's quality materials as long as we take the time to ensure we allow for variations, it just doesn't matter.
    Example...t-shirt quilts

Go for it!!

I've done such a quilt. I used homes puns, flannel, fleece, corduroy and jean. It's a house favorite. It's been washed many times and I never prewash fabrics. I did yellow brick road pattern but I did use 1/2" seams not 1/4" just because of the thickness of some of the fabric. Good luck!!!
    *Rachel*

Banned
    I would not hesitate to combine cotton with flannel but would not mix with fleece. Cotton and flannel most alike but Cleese much heavier . Cleese and flannel might work.

I had a bad experience by mixing cottons with a poly-cotton blend. I should have known better, but I was too frugal. I had a piece of off white and used it instead of getting an all cotton piece. When I pressed it the off white strips drew up and the cottons stayed flat.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Blog Entries
    I see no reason why you can't use them for a backing in one piece or for frog applause.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Thanks all....talked to his Mom...so it is dogs. I bought fleece for the back...green of course [favorite color]. Am using primarily cottons, and a few flannel, for the top. I am going to use the thinnest batting [know it will be warm], but he is so skinny and is always cold. I can't thank you enough for your help. I did wash all in hot water and dried in the drier. Thanks again!!!

Junior Member Retiredandquilting's Avatar
    I have mixed flannel and cotton with no problem. I would not incorporate the fleece. I do not think polyester shrinks and the flannel and cotton both do.
    Sue In Bloomfield, NY

I'm with knismith - do what you like and what looks good. I mix it all up as the feel is lovely. If you quilt it enough it's not going anywhere so no problems with stretching, shrinking etc. Just enjoy making it - makes my fingers itchy just thinking about it. Good luck. J

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast