Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: quilting fabric

I had a bad experience by mixing cottons with a poly-cotton blend. I should have known better, but I was too frugal. I had a piece of off white and used it instead of getting an all cotton piece. When I pressed it the off white strips drew up and the cottons stayed flat.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Blog Entries
    I see no reason why you can't use them for a backing in one piece or for frog applause.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Thanks all....talked to his Mom...so it is dogs. I bought fleece for the back...green of course [favorite color]. Am using primarily cottons, and a few flannel, for the top. I am going to use the thinnest batting [know it will be warm], but he is so skinny and is always cold. I can't thank you enough for your help. I did wash all in hot water and dried in the drier. Thanks again!!!

Junior Member Retiredandquilting's Avatar
    I have mixed flannel and cotton with no problem. I would not incorporate the fleece. I do not think polyester shrinks and the flannel and cotton both do.
    Sue In Bloomfield, NY

I'm with knismith - do what you like and what looks good. I mix it all up as the feel is lovely. If you quilt it enough it's not going anywhere so no problems with stretching, shrinking etc. Just enjoy making it - makes my fingers itchy just thinking about it. Good luck. J

I bought a kit for a baby blanket that had minky, flannel and cotton in it. It was to be cut into squares and sewn into block borders to go around the flannel center panel of flannel, alternating the minky, cotton and flannel squares. Also the cotton was to go around the flannel center panel as a border. The back was flannel and no batting used. I didn't have a problem sewing it together but haven't washed it yet. If different materials come in a kit I don't see why you can't put your own together.

I have used Minke and flannel in a baby quilt with good results.

Blog Entries
    I have mixed flannel and cotton but not fleece, but if they all wash the same why not. I did not have any trouble at all washing the flannel and cotton together.

Quote Originally Posted by knlsmith View Post
    Go for it! I mix cotton, batiks, woolies, flannels. Prewash before cutting, then starch n iron. The only limitation is your imagination. ♡
    What knlsmith said! Prewashing in hot water and machine drying is a MUST if you are going to mix cottons with blends or non-cottons such as fleece. Cotton will always shrink some, blends such as poly-cotton will shrink a little, and poly fabrics including fleece will not shrink. Your quilt will end up really wonky the first time it's washed if you do not prewash before you start cutting blocks.

I'm sure any small child will love a quilt with the different textures so go for it!
    Shirley in Arizona

Blog Entries
    I did four scrappy memory quilts from outgrown childrens clothing and used knits, cotton,pajamas, flannel, fleece and even cordory and they did up great. Two of the quilts were from boys clothing and two were from girls clothing including her dresses.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

I bet it would be a fun quilt, but I think I would use a piece of muslin for foundation

I'm going to make rag quilts have flannel washed dried and cut, will wash the denim and dry, do I need to wash the regular quilting cotton also? will not be using batting, and cutting squares 8"sq allowing for 3/4" seams to rag out.

You said it, I agree with what you said 100%

Power Poster
    I wouldn't have a problem using cotton and flannel in a quilt, however, I would be sure to wash the flannel in hot water, as it really tends to shrink a lot, but then I pre-wash 99% of my fabrics anyway.

Blog Entries
    Personally, I don't see a problem with mixing cotton flannel and cotton quilting fabric if you pre-washed. Stretchy fabric makes me nervous in any quilt unless you stabilize it first.
    every cloud has a silver lining but sometimes it is hard to get to the mint

Blog Entries
    I have mixed fabrics on a lot of scrap quilts, especially one for a child that I knew was going to be dragged all over the house and the yard. Some of the fabrics look crinkled when you wash the quilt, and some look smooth, (depending on the fabric content, but that is the only thing I have noticed. I do wash all flannels or anything I think may shrink, but don't normally wash quilting cotton. I have even used t-shirt fabric in scrap quilts, just use the iron on interfacing before cutting the pieces.

Excuse me, but am I the only one who knows that flannel IS COTTON??? Come on, dears; lets not get so rigiid about these things. lol
    Judy
    Friendship is the fabric of our lives!

The different thickness and texture will make a very fun quilt! Might even look for satiny, shiny for even more texture friendliness.
    And yes I do think in this case prewashing everything would be a good idea (I usually don't).

Not long ago our quilt guild had a guest speaker who brought quilts that included all kinds of mixtures--coruroy, flannel, cotton, cotton/plueter blends, etc. I don't know that any of them included fleece, but I don't see why not. She said she started quilting when she was poor as a church mouse and didn't know any of the rules and once she started she kept doing what she was doing. The quilts were very pretty and just right for a child's quilt with their many textures and colors. froggyintexas

Quote Originally Posted by MaureenT View Post
    I hope this doesn't sound to dumb? Am thinking of making my Grandson a scrapy quilt. My question is can I mix cotton and flannel in it? How about fleece. I would like to get an assortment of frog prints.
    Any help is appreciated!! I am such a newbee!

Honestly, we make the rules and we should be able to change them. That said, I wouldn't put flannel and a woven cotton together to make a top. Flannel is cotton, but the weave is much looser than the cotton fabrics that we make tops from. The 2 will shrink differently. Even if you pre-wash. The minkee fabric or fleece I have seen used on the back of a quilt that a long armer did. It created a whole new type of texture. I wouldn't do it on my home machine, because I can't 'stretch' the sides, to be flat. It would be more like a lake on the bottom if I did it!
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by MaureenT View Post
    I hope this doesn't sound to dumb? Am thinking of making my Grandson a scrapy quilt. My question is can I mix cotton and flannel in it? How about fleece. I would like to get an assortment of frog prints.
    Any help is appreciated!! I am such a newbee!

Cotton is the fiber content, flannel is a finish. Mix to your heart's content. Personally, I don't care for fleece mixed in. It's generally a knit and I don't want stuff that stertched that much.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
    I think because the three you mentioned all have different weights and thickness it would make for an uneven appearance. Plus fleece and flannel stretch and would make them difficult to keep stable with cotton.
    Flannel stretches??????????
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by judord View Post
    Excuse me, but am I the only one who knows that flannel IS COTTON??? Come on, dears; lets not get so rigiid about these things. lol
    Judy
    Do you have any idea how many times I've posted just that on this board? I did again just now. I remember one woman who went into a panic because there was only 100% cotton in the backing collection whereever she went for muslin.

Batiks are not considered cotton on here.
    Broadcloth is not considered cotton on here.
    Denim is not considered cotton on here.
    Corduroy is not considered cotton on here.
    Heavens only knows what what the fiber content of canvas and duck is thought to be, or batiste and lawn.

I'd be scared to mention that velvet and satin can be 100% cotton.
    Not to mention that cotton can be processed as so many weights of knit.
    U N T I E

I'm making a quilt for my grandson and want to make the top cottons and the backing fleece. Will this work?? Should I wash the fleece first?

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Way back when - some quilts were made with almost anything the maker could get her hands on.

I tend to prefer the same weight for the whole back and the same weight for the whole top - but that is not what everyone else needs to do.

I think if I did have a 'rule' - if it's an item that is meant to be washed - to only use sturdy washable fabrics in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepita View Post
    Honestly, we make the rules and we should be able to change them. That said, I wouldn't put flannel and a woven cotton together to make a top. Flannel is cotton, but the weave is much looser than the cotton fabrics that we make tops from. The 2 will shrink differently. Even if you pre-wash. The minkee fabric or fleece I have seen used on the back of a quilt that a long armer did. It created a whole new type of texture. I wouldn't do it on my home machine, because I can't 'stretch' the sides, to be flat. It would be more like a lake on the bottom if I did it!
    WE does not include me. I combine what I want to use.
    U N T I E

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2