Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilting with Flannel - What batting to use

Quilting with Flannel - What batting to use

My mom would like me to make a flannel quilt for her, my question is: Do you use batting with your flannel quilts and if you do what type. To me it seems to be to heavy. I was thinking to using flannel as the batting or maybe nothing at all.

when i made my fannel one i used it on the front and back and no batting.

Power Poster
    I can't see where you live by your profile but how cold does it get there? It sounds like she is wanting a quilt that is very warm. If that is the case I would put in a lightweight batt.

I LOVE using flannel as a "batting". The quilt is sooooo supple ... you won't get that suppleness in any batting. Top, batting and backing of flannel is plenty warm.

I'm quilting a quilt now which is a flannel top. I'm not using a batting on this one because I'm backing it in Minkee and that's plenty heavy already.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I have made several flannel quilts. I used either warm and natural as batting or another piece of flannel.

I'd use a flannel for the batting....I have done that a number of times in the past, when I wanted just a small 'batting' and it was a quilt that would get lots of use. Its easy to quilt, and it makes a very nice finished quilt once washed - it has that nice wrinkly look we all love. I have also used warm & natural (my favorite), which is also nice, but it makes for a heavier quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    I have made several flannel quilts. I used either warm and natural as batting or another piece of flannel.
    Ditto. Me too.

Thank you everyone, I strated to use warm and natural but the quilt is way to heavy. My mom has RA and I think it would to too hard for her to move around. I think I'll try some flannel to lighten the load.

I just made a flannel quilt and used the lightest weight polyester batting I could find. I wanted it very warm so I didn't have to run the heater so much. Worked great, no added weight and very warm. So if your Mom wants a warm quilt use that type of batting. I googled warm and natural with flannel and decided would be way too heavy.

For my rag quilts I use 3 layers of flannel, no batting. I also used flannel as a batting in a comfort quilt and was quite happy with the result. I originally planned to use that piece of flannel on the back, but when I washed it the flannel pilled. I figured it would be fine inside the quilt, but not on the back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast