Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Frame that has a panto shelf on top >

Quilting Frame that has a panto shelf on top

Quilting Frame that has a panto shelf on top

Old 10-06-2011, 04:49 PM

I have the old Inspira frame and using a Pfaff 9" throat machine on it. I love to do Pantos but every frame that I find has the panto shelf on the back of the frame. I have my frame in a bedroom and I simply cannot get behind it so that's why I NEED a frame that has the shelf still on top. I want to upgrade my machine probably to a Babylock Jewel, 18" machine, but I'm told my frame will not hold anything larger than a 9" throad machine. I've had this setup over 5 years but would love to have a larger quilting area. Just wondering if anyone knows of another frame that has the shelf on top. I did find the New Joy frame but it looks almost identical to the one that I have but there isn't a dealer within 5 hours of me so I could go look at it and compare it to mine. Any help or suggestions that anyone could give me would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Mary from Savannah GA
Old 10-06-2011, 05:55 PM

Hi Mary - you are right, the New Joy frame is almost identical to the one you have. I have a New Joy and my friend has the Inspira. Good luck on your search.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:03 PM

Not sure if he will have what you are looking for...but, just 2 1/2 hours from you in Augusta, GA is a Nolting dealer. Steve is who I bought my Nolting Fun Quilter and frame from. His website is www.memorylanequilting.com. He has used machines and frames, so he might have something. BTW, I love my Nolting. :)
Old 10-06-2011, 06:22 PM

Thanks for your reply Suebee. Can you put a larger machine on your New Joy frame than we can put on the Inspira? How do you compare the two frames?
Old 10-06-2011, 06:23 PM

Thanks for your information. I will check it out right now. Two and a half hours sounds a lot better to me. I would rather have a dealer in driving distance just in case I have problems.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:49 PM

I don't know if there is a frame where the pantos can lay on the top in front. If there is, I want to know about it because I don't do pantos because I do not like to quilt from the back side.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by aborning
I don't know if there is a frame where the pantos can lay on the top in front. If there is, I want to know about it because I don't do pantos because I do not like to quilt from the back side.
I don't like to quilt from the back either. I trace my pantos onto waxed paper, pin the paper to the quilt and sew right over the design. The waxed paper pulls right off. Just a thought.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:48 AM

I have the Little Gracie II. The pantos sit under the machine on the shelf with no space lost in the room. My sister has a Grace GQM, and the panto shelf is attached behind the frame and a lot of space is lost in the room. - I still need to be behind the machine to quilt when doing pantos, but only need about an extra foot, just enough room for me. The frame already has to be out far enough that the machine does not hit the wall. The Gracie II frame also fits up to a 16" throat and a queen size quilt. -- My room is only 15' X 8'. I built a base for the frame to slide it back and forth when using it.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:51 AM

I have a New Joy from about 4 years ago. It has the shelf and lazor on top and you only quilt from the front. When I used it it set next the the windows for extra ligtht. I used it with a Brother Nouvelle 1500. I have upgraded to a HQ Avante' and would love to sell my old system (frame and machine) but not sure how to ship the frame as it would be so long due to some of the pieces. I hate to see them just sit in the closet. We bought it off the floor as a demo at the Houston Quilt Fest a few years ago. What I liked about it most was you only quilted from the front. I love my HQ but boy does it take a lot of room.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by marys
Thanks for your reply Suebee. Can you put a larger machine on your New Joy frame than we can put on the Inspira? How do you compare the two frames?
i dont know about putting a larger machine on it. I currently have the Babylock Quilters Choice Professional.